driver

Jupiter

Registered
hi
i want to start writing driver for mac and linux but i don`t know that i must start from where?
can you name me a reference ?
thanks

Do you mean you want to starting writing programs for mac and linux?
Apple computers don't need drivers, everything already works with OS X, its just the way that they're made.

Uhh If you don't know where to start, writing drivers may not be for you LOL.

Apple computers don't need drivers...
Apple computers do indeed require drivers to operate, just as any other operating system. Apple just includes a whole slew of them with OS X so that most peripherals already have a driver present and waiting to be loaded.

Gotta agree with the other posters -- if you don't know where to pick up in writing a driver, perhaps you're jumping head-first into the deep end when you should be inching into the shallow end.

What, specifically, do you need help with?

Well therefore, they don't require them, if they come installed with OS X, how do you figure? It's not like windows, where you have to have drivers for everything.
correct?

If by, "require drivers" you're actually trying to say, "does not require the user to install additional drivers," then yes, in most (but not all) cases, that's true.

But OS X requires drivers be present in order for the hardware to work, not unlike Linux, Windows, or any other operating system. Even in certain circumstances, the user will need to install drivers that were not included with the system (like in the instance of my new Brother laser printer). If you dive into the system and remove all video drivers and reboot, then guess what -- you won't have any video. Those drivers were required, and when you removed them, they broke the system. Drivers. Required.

So, in the end, I do think it's a very truthful statement to say, "OS X requires drivers."

Back