DSL Broadband Optimization

GadgetLover

Senior Member & Tech Guru
So, versiontracker.com lists two utilities which purport to increase download speeds on the Internet, Speed Download and Broadband Optimizer.

Does anyone know anything about these apps? Have you tried them? Do they work? Do they cause any problems? There seems to be conflicting reports on this subject.

I stay away from Speed Download on principle. It works by enabling multiple simultaneous connections, making the user a bandwidth hog and denying access to other folks.
Broadband Optimizer, OTOH, tweaks your system settings for broadband connectivity. I personally have not noticed any significant improvement in the performance of my cable modem connection while using it, but it hasn't had any negative effects, either.

Originally posted by genghiscohen
Broadband Optimizer, OTOH, tweaks your system settings for broadband connectivity. I personally have not noticed any significant improvement in the performance of my cable modem connection while using it, but it hasn't had any negative effects, either.

Thanks for the info.

P.S. I agree with your viewpoint of Speed Download -- it just opens you up to getting ipfw blocked!

GL - you of all people posting in the wrong forum:p

I use BBO and find it works. a new version was just released and it works even better. I am not sure why, but some people have had problems with getting it to install properly. Maybe they should take to reading readme's. it does require a little more than dragging and dropping to the HD. you drag and drop to a specific folder.

Btw - there are a few threads on this in the osx third party software forum;)

Back