Duplicate Login Keychains...can I delete one?

LarryMcJ

Registered
In Keychain Access (upper left) I have two instances of "login". One is "login" and at the top of the Keychain list, the other is "Login" (note leading capital L) and further down in the list. When highlighted, both display the exact same entries on the right. From where is the other instance of this coming...and can I delete it? Thanks!

LarryMcJ

You should be able to delete one of them without problems. If the entries are the same in both, it should work.
If you look at ~(that would be your home folder)/Library/Keychain folder, do you see one or two entries there? Normally there would be one file, login.keychain. Copy that / those files to your Desktop or Documents just to have a backup before you delete the login entry, to be sure nothing goes wrong.

You could also rename the second one to login2, then add it to your keychain list under the Edit menu of Keychain Access ... so you can inspect its contents and copy over to your login kc any entries you wish.

Saving a copy of your keychains to a backup folder - I keep mine in "Shared" - as well as offsite is never a bad idea.

Back