DVD drive initialization...

raceimp

Registered
Hi there,
This is my first post here, so I'll try to be as precise as I can... The problem I was having was that I have changed my CD-ROM drive in my G4 Quicksilver for a LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N (a DVD burner). I was having a problem with the support in iTunes with this specific DVD drive... Searched in a lot of forums, found an answer (with PatchBurn 3.1.5). Now I have full support on my machine with this drive. Now, what I encounter is a drive initialization problem... with a software called FastDVDcopy... It says in the main window:

Unable to access DVD
The drive region code has not been initialized on this computer

Can someone help me with this? I'm really desesperate...

Here is some system info:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N:

Capacité: 7.29 Go
Fabricant: HL-DT-ST
Modèle: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N
Révision: JL10
Numéro de série: 227AFCA2E8C2
Type de disque: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Gravure du disque: Constructeur géré
Support amovible: Oui
Disque amovible: Non
Nom BSD: disk2
Protocole: ATAPI
Numéro de l’unité: 0
Type de socket: Interne
Gestionnaires OS9: Non

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Have you tried to set the region code?
You should be able to do this by inserting a movie DVD. Your DVD Player should launch, and you should get a message that the region code is not set, and you should be able to set it there. Use a typical DVD for your region (Europe, I suppose). That may fix the problem with FastDVDCopy. Come back here if it does not help.

Thanks for the help, but this cannot work out because my G4 originally comes without any DVD software as it was only sporting out a CD-writer... By the way, every other appplication is working fine, even those that came originally with the computer. I'm just fiddling around with this "incompatibility" because I like when things work out!
I'm thinking of either reinstall the system (that will perhaps do some system integration and install the original DVD software) or update my system with the most recent system software...

I'm just having a problem right now, and I just want to resolve it as it will go round and round in my head until either I just give up on this, or find the ultimate solution.

I hate when this happens!

Any other idea?

You can get the DVD Player from your OS X installer with Pacifist.

Updating to 10.4.x would also be good. You may not need Patchburn with that upgrade. You would need to upgrade Patchburn if that is still needed - depends on the model of burner that you have, I think. Many more burners are natively supported with Tiger.

Pacifist - Shareware application that opens Mac OS X .pkg package files, .dmg disk image files, and .tar, .tgz, and .tar.gz archive files and allows you to extract individual files and folders out of them. This is useful, for instance, if an application which is installed by the operating system becomes damaged and needs to be reinstalled without the hassle of reinstalling all of Mac OS X (for example, if you had accidentally deleted Sherlock and wanted to reinstall it, but not the whole operating system).
http://www.charlessoft.com/

that list of possible downloads of DVD Player from Apple is probably not useful unless you have OS X older than version 10.2

It works!!! Many thanks to all of us, especially Deltamac! My problem is solved!!! To be honest, I was about to forget about this...

Thanks!

Back