editors and stuff

cfleck

tired
coming from the land of linux, i always wrote my code with emacs or vim. now that i'm starting with os x i thought i'd see if there is anything "nicer" out there. i am using a trial version of bbedit but it is so expensive its out of my league.

what do you peoples use? is bbedit the answer for the mac? keep in mind that i'm trying to depart from emacs and vim so try to keep those "stay with emacs/vim!" comments to a minimum.

Originally posted by cf25
coming from the land of linux, i always wrote my code with emacs or vim. now that i'm starting with os x i thought i'd see if there is anything "nicer" out there. i am using a trial version of bbedit but it is so expensive its out of my league.

what do you peoples use? is bbedit the answer for the mac? keep in mind that i'm trying to depart from emacs and vim so try to keep those "stay with emacs/vim!" comments to a minimum.

I just use the built-in editors for Project Builder and CodeWarrior. They're not the most feature-rich in the world, but they're functional.

Also, have you looked at Text Wrangler, also by Bare Bones? It's not as full-featured as BBEdit, but a lot cheaper.

Finally, lots of people (and I used to be one of them) swear by Alpha.

See:

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~steffen/Alpha/AlphaX/

Wade

but there are even better IDE/Editors for Macs but they are al Java Based.

try : eclipse.org, jedit.org

Back