Eeeeek.. desktop and iphoto files are gone!!!

djbeta

Registered
The files and folders in my wife's desktop and iphoto library are gone (and missing from the Photos folder)..

I've launched her into target disk mode and am running Data Rescue.. it's not done scanning yet...

but, I've never seen anything like this in my several years using a Mac..

Does anyone have any insight into what could have caused this. She is certain that no one was using or was near her computer.. and she was not drinking and being stupid.

????

THE TRUTH COMES OUT... I found out what caused this.. My wife wanted to change her username on her computer... so guess how she did this ??? She went to the home folder, got info on it, and changed her name there.

When she turns on the computer, she is only offered one account to log into, however, her old account still has a users folder.

So, there are a few folders in the Users folder:

Eleanor (original name) <-- all her stuff (desktop, pictures, music) is in here

EleanorCap (new name with home icon) -- seems like a fresh install of OS X-- nothing on desktop, itunes, iphoto libraries

She didn't create a new account under the accounts preference panel, so I'm not sure how this happened. ANY advice or suggestions with regard to how this happened and/or how to proceed would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

sweet.. thanks.. all I had to do was rename the new home folder , change the old home folder's name to what the new folder WAS named (*), then log out, and back in with the new name which actually points to the original home folder.

Yep. It's good that they actually made an article that explains how to do that in details so that I didn't have to type it all in . ;)

Back