Eh, a question..

TheUnknown

Registered
My first computer was a '95 Mac, I have no idea what version it is, because somebody sold the HD thinking I told him to.. But I told him to repair it!:mad: But I think it was a Mac OS 6. God, I loved the computer, it was so stable and I felt so secure with it. Perhaps some guys out there knows/good-guess what version is a '95 Mac. I was thinking perhaps I could buy a brand new G3 to power it up. I still got the monitor.:D

Man, I remember using 7.1 on an old Performa. I only got rid of it earlier this year. Something went wrong with the logic board a few years ago which caused the display to mess up (no red, etc.). We could have either fixed it up and added a bigger hard drive, or we could have got the new high end iMac DV. Which do you think we did? ;)

Ok, I got the specs from the site Adambyte provided. My old Mac is a Performa 6360

Details

6300/160 introduced October 1, 1996; discontinued
6360 introduced October 1, 1996; discontinued
requires System 7.5.1 through 9.1
CPU: 160 MHz PPC 603e
bus: 40 MHz
performance: XXX (relative to SE)
ROM: 4 MB
RAM: 16 MB (8 MB on motherboard), expandable to 136 MB using two 8, 16, 32, or 64 MB 70ns or faster 168-pin DIMMs
VRAM: 1 MB
Video: thousands of colors to 800x600, 256 colors to 1024x768
L2 cache: optional, up to 1 MB
hard drive: 1.2 GB IDE
CD-ROM: 8x
ADB port for keyboard and mouse
DIN-8 GeoPorts on back of computer
DB-25 SCSI connector on back of computer
video input slot
video out port
Comm II slot, occupied by 28.8 kbps modem
one PCI slot
Gestalt ID: 58
Size (HxWxD): 4.3" x 12.6" x 16.5"
weight: 17 pounds

Ok, I know I can upgrade it up to 9.1 and is it possible to use a G3? Or use the very same harddrive used for my mac? All I got is the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I gotta admit that I'm no real computer whiz, I only know very little about computer specs and stuff like that.

Well, on the desk behind me sits a 7300/200 upgraded with a 400 Mhz G3 processor (my dad got it from his friend) and a 2 GB hard drive. If your friend sold the internal hard drive, you'll need to replace it with an internal IDE drive. You should run into no problems installing a G3, as well.

Or you could buy a new or slightly used eMac that still boots into OS 9, for probably close to the same price. What do you want to do with your Performa? You'd probably be able to accomplish the same much better on an eMac.

Well, I was thinking about just adding a G3 to it since I have no harddrive, and I wanted to check if it would work. So, all I have to do is replace it with a internal IDE drive? And I can run up to OS 9.1 like it says on the specs. I just thought it'd be nice using an old mac again, you know.:D

Back