el stupido

sure, we expect as much from newbies :D let's see if yours is any funnier than the last newb's question? :)

(hey, don't forget, we were all beginners once ;) )

Oh, be nice Ed! He's new, don't scare him off!
Although I must admit, some of those questions are pretty funny...

How do I get my HP scanner to work. I am an idiot still on AOL. I am too lazy to change my email. Can I get any of the mail programs to work? I am a vet so will glady trade stupid animal questions for stupid computer questions OR if you live in SW florida will take care of your pet for Mac knowledge. My HUSBAND boought me an I mac and it is too late too return it so I am stuck with learning how to use it. Thanks

Your first problem is AOL...they're not friendly to outside mail apps as they don't allow SMTP servers for outgoing mail. Think about using another provider such as Earthlink for your internet access....and you'll probably see a speed increase as a benefit when surfing. If AOL is required, drop to their Bring Your Own Access plan or a Pay By Hour if it'll equal less than the BYOA does $$$ wise.

As far as the scanner, there may not be mac compatible (x in particular) drivers available for it, depending on the model and how old it is. Try asking, with details of the model and your system, in the Hardware forum. That's a more appropiate forum for these questions.

I haven't a clue about the scanner, but if you don't want to use the AOL software, the only other program that I know of which supports the AOL protocol is Netscape 6.0 and above (I do not have OS X yet, so I am using this now, and it works fine).
When you register for AOL, you automaticaly get a Netscape.net e-mail address. I used to use AOL, but when I found out about this, I switched over. I have Netscape 7.0 set to check my AOL e-mail address too, so I haven't logged into AOL on my Mac for about two months now.

Check out VueScan for scanner software. It works pretty good with my Epson scanner, and supports a lot of scanners in OS X.

It's a shareware app, so you can try it out and see if it works with your scanner before buying it.

Give the Mac a chance ... you'll probably quite like it once you figure out how to get all your stuff working. They're wonderful machines and they really grow on you. We're here to help you with any problems you might have switching over, so if you ever find you're a bit stuck, give us a yell.

VueScan is a very good program. I use it with my HP scanner and am a VERY happy customer. Just make sure it works with your scanner BEFORE paying the shareware fee.

Back