eMac low voltage consumption!

zoranb

Registered
I want to run a very very long term application on my eMac, i will be scanning a failed HD with DataRescue2. The last time i did it midway, took almost a month, 24/7 without interruption. My goal here is to consume as less electricity as possible. How can i do that on my eMac and still have the application to run in the background! Is there a way of turning of the monitor (only) in order to consume less electricity?

In the Energy Saver preference pane, you can set it to turn off the monitor after X minutes of inactivity ('inactivity' in this case means 'no keyboard or mouse input', so you can have all the programs you want running).

Can i put the computer to sleep also if i will be executing OSX and DataRescue2 from an external drive (connected via the firewire port)?

No, you can't put the computer to sleep, because that puts the processor to sleep, too, thus halting all programs. You can, however, tell OS X to spin down the internal hard disk when possible, using the check box in Energy Saver.

The problem here is that even if you're working on an external disk, the OS itself might need to access the boot volume for things like virtual memory. There's not much you can do about that, so don't be shocked if your internal disk still spins a lot of the time.

Back