Ethernet connection???

MacDoobie

Registered
Hey all,

I need some help here. I am running two OS X machines connected by a 100 mb hub but I am only getting a connection of 10 mb when I look at my network utility program. Both computers have 100 mb ethernet cards in them. How do I config so I can copy between the computers at a higher speed then 10mb/sec?

Thanks for any help

MacDoobie

Which kind of connection do you use? Maybe you should try and connect via TCP/IP (instead of AppleTalk). Does that make any sense?

Are you sure that hub is really 100Mbps? If so, does it do NWAY negotiation?

10Mbps half-duplex is standard setting against devices which do not NWAY negotiate correctly.

I believe that it is now possible to nail down the speed of an interface in OS X 10.1.5 using media keyword to ifconfig; please, perform ifconfig en0 to see the list of supported media

Your command line for setting 100Mbps half duplex would be something like:

Code:
ifconfig en0 media 100baseTX mediaopt half-duplex

you will have to do that on both machines, since nailing down the speed turns off NWAY negotiation

btw, media auto should turn NWAY back on

EDIT: just checked media keyword: it works correctly on 10.1.5

Beware: this keyword is not documented in OS X manpage for ifconfig; the manpage is completely obsolete. Fortunately, ifconfig manpage from FreeBSD documents the command correctly (ifconfig is taken from FreeBSD, and kernel part is finally mostly implemented)

Well,

I thought my hub was a 100 mb but after getting online and checking the product info I found out it is only a 10 mb. I guess it's time to update my network.

Thanks for any help provided.

MacDoobie

Back