Excel question

twyg

Back to Mac Baby!
This may actually be done better elsewhere than Excel, but let's see.

I've got 9000 e-mail addresses
4700 of those people have bounced/unsubscribed.

Is there a way to take both files (one file has everyone, the other has unsubscribe and bounces only) and have excel scrub the data?

I know there's perl to do this as well, but my users won't want to do that down the road. For now it's fine though. ;)

Yeah, this sort of thing can be very simple in Excel. You just have to make sure of a couple things. The e-mail addresses are exactly the same in both files. What I am going to suggest is that you use the look up function in Excel. I'll first list an example function and then explain what the parameters of the function mean.

=VLOOKUP(A2, 'Sheet2'!$2:$9000, 2, false)

The first parameter is the cell reference to what you want to lookup in the second sheet. For you, this would be e-mail address contained in this cell.

The second parameter contains the name of second sheet in single quotes (you can leave out the quotes if the name contains no spaces) followed by an "!" followed by the row reference. Here I used rows 2 to 9000 since the first row is usually your header row and you normally don't want to lookup information in this row. Often times I just generically use $2:$65000, since Excel has a limit of 65000 some odd rows and this will make sure that every possible row is searched for the data I am looking to find. It is most important to remember that the value being looked up must be in the first column of the second excel sheet. So the e-mail addresses must be if column A.

The third argument is what column to return data from. So let's say Excel finds the e-mail address in A2 in the second sheet somewhere. Now you want the data contained in the column next to it, column B or column 2, returned so you type 2 for third argument. Or you may just want the e-mail address itself returned so you type 1. What is returned may not be very important to you, but the fact that the address is found and something is returned may be more important.

The fourth argument is basically asking the question, "Do you want me to find closest match?" So the fourth argument is either true (= yes) or false (= no). I have found very few uses for true, I always set the last argument to false. So by choosing false, I am saying, "No I don't want the closest match, I want an exact match." I rarely if ever want a close match, I almost always want the exact match if found. Plus, I am never sure what Excel might consider the closest match.

Once you get this working, you can evalute what e-mail addresses you want to keep and which ones you want to discard. If the address is not found in the second sheet, you will probably see the common error of "#N/A" returned by the function. This means that the value was not found in the second sheet. For you, this means that you will probably want to keep this e-mail address since it is not on the bounced/unsubscribed list. If something is returned, you will probably want to discard this e-mail address since it is on the other list.

If you have an Excel question, I'm the man to ask!!!

Hope this helps...

RhitMacMan,

I sent a PM also, hope you dont mind. I have a question about excel, but the 1000 character limit is too small to thouroughly explain here. The PM explains more, if you think you can help, let me know and i can email you a more detailed explanation.

Thanks in advance.

darron

Back