Extending range of wireless network

neuby

Registered
I have a Siemens wireless router. We just moved into a larger home, and the unit in the basement cannot reach effectively to all corners upstairs. In fact, reception is generally poor away from the basement. Is there a way to extend the range of such a system? I know that airport is supposed to be able to do this, but can other systems 'extend' their range by adding on additional transcievers??

Some can, but they don't all offer that feature. You'll have to check your manual for information about bridging.

Another option could be an external antenna. On most routers you should be able to remove the stock antenna and plug in an external one. You could possibly even route that antenna to a location on the middle floor, which would help with reception. Of course placing the router on that middle floor might just be the quickest, cheapest, easiest solution.

Thanks - i will look into the external antenna solution. No dice on moving the router though - it has to be within ethernet range of my fixed PC - in the basement. The wireless part is for the mac.

Back