File transfers hang

Jordan the Nerd

Registered
Hi.

I have just upgraded my Powermac G4 to Leopard, and I have been experiencing problems with file copies / transfers. This also happened in Mac OSX Tiger.

What happens is the transfer gets some of the way, and then just seems to pause. The hard drive light still flashes, but I do not believe any changes are being made. When I try and cancel the copy, it does not, and I normally re-launch Finder, but this also does not work.

It happens in Time Machine too, and is very frustrating.

Just yesterday I made it into Mac OS Extended, with Apple Partition Map, as opposed to FAT32, with Master Boot Record.

- Jordan

That Mac for the system should always have had the apple partition map - or if you had been using GUID or MBR with FAT32 with it with it actually working in Mac OS X I'd be very curious to know how you did it.

Anyway... do you have stuffit? That seems to be doing evil things recently with Finder.
If it's not stuffit, what does Console application show when copying hangs?

I do have stuffit, but I do not think that is the problem. I cannot find logs on when the problems occurred, maybe you can help with this.

This Powermac has just been bad luck, I had freezing, kernel panics, this, and there is a huge line through the Cinema Display.

Just a quick update:
The problem for me was my PCI USB 2.0 card, which was a really bad brand that didn't support Mac OSX very well. So I just brought a new one and my Powermac was fine since.

Good luck if you have problems like this.

Back