FileMaker sometimes hangs at successful TCP/IP

Morgan19

Registered
Just like the title says, my FileMaker sometimes gets hung up at the "TCP/IP Successfully Initialized" bit of text on its splash screen. I'm running OS 10.3.5, Classic is 9.2.2, and FileMaker 5. What's strange about this is that sometimes FM'll startup and work fine, while the next it'll hang. It also seems to freeze up the entire Classic environment, as I then have to force-quit Classic.

m19

Hmm... I'd love to help, but you didn't really ask for help, you kinda just outlined an experience you've had. Did you mean to ask a specific question?

Have you tried the usual maintenance routines of repairing permissions, booting from the OS X install CD to repair the disk, restarting the machine, logging out and then back in, and removing any haxies you have installed?

Do you have a large set of extensions that load in Classic, or have you whittled them down to the bare necessities? Did this problem just now arise after some update or some change to the system, or has it always been this way?

Hmm... I'd love to help, but you didn't really ask for help, you kinda just outlined an experience you've had. Did you mean to ask a specific question?

Heehe, I thought it was pretty obvious... I need to *not* have FileMaker freeze when I start it. :)

Have you tried the usual maintenance routines of repairing permissions, booting from the OS X install CD to repair the disk, restarting the machine, logging out and then back in, and removing any haxies you have installed?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and no. The only hacks I have are Unsanity ones (FruitMenu, LabelsX, and WindowShade X) so I'll try disabling them.

Do you have a large set of extensions that load in Classic, or have you whittled them down to the bare necessities? Did this problem just now arise after some update or some change to the system, or has it always been this way?

No, I have Extensions set to 9.2.2 Base. Unless there're more I can disable, but I don't know enough about to know which ones I could additionally disable and not cause problems. I'd been running 9.2.2 for a while before updating to Panther a couple months ago. So really it's only been since updating to Panther since before I couldn't run in Classic. ;)

m19

For the Classic extensions, you can disable anything hardware-related, like the FireWire extensions (I think those are "off" in the "Base" set, though).

Have you tried deleting the FileMaker 5.0 preferences in the Classic preference folder (System Folder (OS 9):preferences)?

It sounds like FileMaker is having trouble initializing TCP/IP (obviously!) and TCP/IP under Classic is routed through a proxy of sorts via OS X, so any internet connections in Classic aren't really "real," they're going through OS X. Is there anything you've modified in OS X's network settings that would be, how would we say... different from any standard settings people may have?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
For the Classic extensions, you can disable anything hardware-related, like the FireWire extensions (I think those are "off" in the "Base" set, though).

Have you tried deleting the FileMaker 5.0 preferences in the Classic preference folder (System Folder (OS 9):preferences)?

It sounds like FileMaker is having trouble initializing TCP/IP (obviously!) and TCP/IP under Classic is routed through a proxy of sorts via OS X, so any internet connections in Classic aren't really "real," they're going through OS X. Is there anything you've modified in OS X's network settings that would be, how would we say... different from any standard settings people may have?

Ok I'll double-check hardware extensions and make sure I don't have anything on that shouldn't be.

I haven't deleted the prefs file yet but I'll try that tomorrow as well. (I recall that working for a bad Photoshop install a while back.)

Nope, haven't changed any network settings in OSX, and they're exactly the same as three other Macs in the office, all of who don't have this problem.

Thanks again for the help, I'll be sure to post any progress I have once I'm back in the office tomorrow morning.

m19

Success! :D

I trimmed down hardware extensions and reset FM preferences and it's been working great the past few days. Classic is still a little jerky, but at least I can get it working.

Thanks again!
m19

Back