FINK vs. compiling from scratch

ksignorini

Registered
I've read the documentation about compiling apps from scratch on the FINK website and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck compiling many apps themselves (instead of using FINK packages or FINK unstable packages)?

On my slackware box I ALWAYS compiled everything myself, but it seems that there are lots of fixes that you have to make to source before it can be compiled on OS X. How do most people find all that fixing? Do the fixes listed at the FINK website basically sum up all the changes that need to be made?

Thanks,
Kent!

Most of the Unix apps that i have running required some work and adjustments to the source so i had fink handle that and it does a great job at that -- in only case, my compiling worked out better than fink (so that doesn't really count) -- in all other cases, compiling it myself sometimes asked so many adjustments that it would have been a waste of time to do it myself -- if your question comes down to the quality of fink, i would say 'go for it', these guys are doing a great job

What you should really do is join the FINK project and help them maintain their packages |-)

ksignorini,

I will say go with Fink 100% as I installed more than 450 packages with fink without mayor troubles.

However, nothing stop you from doing both. Use fink and as an exercise compile some other things yourself.

Good luck.

Cheers...

Back