First Post, I'm Completely Stumped! Boot System Help

Martyn Short

Registered
Hi,

First things first, i am not a regular mac user. I repair PCs for a living, and do the occasional mac.
A customer brought us a machine (G3 Destop I THINK) which has recently had OSX installed, but was OS9 originally.

The Problem is, he selected to boot the OS9 installation from the boot device list in OSX, but OS9 will not boot. What i need to do, is get it to boot OSX again.

Sorry if i havent explained myself very well, as i say, i'm not fortunate enough to use a mac on a regular basis!

Any help would be much apreciated!

Thanks

Try--go To System Preferences Then Starup Disk And Select Startup Sys. You Want And Restart. I'm Not Real Clear On Your Situation But Give It A Try.
Dickster--------------------------------------

Use Any Startup Disk---os10 0s9 Etc. Hold Down C Key Til Boots-quit Installer And Choose Startup Disk-i.e. Os10 From Startup Disk Selection
Dickster---just Trying To Help---------

Turn the computer completely off (unplug if necessary). Then hold down the "X" key while turning it on. Keep holding the X key until you see some booting action (maybe as long as 60 seconds).

Another option might be to hold down the OPTION key while booting so that you're presented with the various bootable volumes to choose from. Note that it will sit and spin for 1 to 2 minutes before allowing you to select the boot drive and continue.

Holding the X key down during startup won't do anything on any computer older than an AGP G4 tower.

The 'option' key startup was also introduced in the AGP G4 towers, so that won't bring you up a menu of bootable devices, either.

What does the computer do when you try and boot OS 9? Does it present ANYthing on the screen? Does it get halfway through booting then crash? Will it not display anything on the screen at all?

Back