Fiwire to USB 2.0 Interface

alphap1us

Registered
I have an iBook from last year with (2)12MB/s and (1) Firewire port. I recently bought a 160G USB2.0 Hard Drive But I had neglected to realize how abysmally slow USB 1.1 is. So my question is, how can I hook up my hard drive to my computer to get decent throughput? The best case would be a USB 2.0 to Firewire cable, but I can't find any of those. The next best woud be really cheap hub, but most don't actually convert from USB to Firewire. I have many spare ethernet ports on my iBook and on my netwrok hub and I can build myself a case for any internal device, yet I don't think I have any way to connect PCI cards. Please help!

Sure, USB 1.1 is next to useless on that 160GB HD. The ideal solution would be a HiSpeed USB to FireWire adapter of some kind, must be pretty tricky to do, there doesn't seem to be anyone doing this after a short web search.
Easiest fix would be to purchase an empty FireWire HD case and transplant the HD from the USB case (this will give you extra speed advantage of FireWire over Hi-speed USB, which it still has. Just for future use, there are external HDs that have both FireWire and USB

Back