fonts not working properrly with one user

malina

Registered
Hi,
I may have done something with my user preferences but I have faced different trouble with fonts in the last days..

1. Installing through Font Book, some fonts name appeared in the list, the font itself visually however not.. in another user this seems to work fine. (the same fonts)

2. Also, when I install any font in Font Book, remove it and later try to install it again, the file still seems to be in place, I add it but there even the name of the font does not appear at all!!??

3. My biggest problem right now:
MS Word is notifying tons of corrupt fonts at the launch of the programme (font menu optimization) so it takes ages for the program to start (try pressing OK for like 60 times every time you run the program). among are also some fonts that came with the system. and when I run validate fonts in font book, they all seem to be fine.
In connection to this: does MS Word copy fonts again to somewhere? if yes, where? Can this be prevented?

Does anybody have a clue what is causing all this?

I guess I could just use another user as primery but all the settings and everything is getting annoying (had to do it two times in two months and it takes some time..)

Try downloading OnyX and running the Cleaning tool, making sure to delete font caches. Then restart. See if the problems remain.

(Wow, I just suggested this for three posts in a row. Remarkable how often a cache cleanup is a good first step.)

I downloaded Onyx, ran cleaning font cache tool, restarted but nothing changed, word is still giving me a series of notices of allegedely corrupt fonts.

Thanks for the tipp. This is what worked for me (for now at least), not knowing a lot about computers behind the visual interface : )

source: http://www.linguistsoftware.com/faq_mac.htm

Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) tells me my fonts are corrupted. Due to an incompatibility between Microsoft Word 2004 and Mac OS 10.4.x (Tiger), Word 2004 will sometimes give error messages that fonts are corrupted and need to be removed from the system. This happens when Word is opening, and if the user clicks on the OK button, the font is not added to Word¹s font menu. Microsoft has offered these two solutions:

1. Do a "Safe Boot" of your Macintosh:
a. Start your Mac while you hold the shift key down. This is called doing a "safe boot." Hold the shift key down until you see the Apple logo on screen. This kind of restart takes a little longer than a regular restart. You will notice when the Log On window comes up that it says you are making a "safe boot."
b. Open MS Word. (Your font menu will probably contain only system fonts.)
c. Quit Word and restart your Mac normally (without holding down the shift key).
d. When you open Word you should not get the error messages that fonts are corrupted.
If the error messages continue, try solution 2.

2. Remove duplicate fonts from your system:
a. Look at all of your font folders to see if there are duplicate fonts installed on your computer. The folders to inspect are:
Hard Drive | Library | Fonts
Hard Drive | Users | (User Name) | Library | Fonts
Hard Drive | System Folder (not System) | Fonts (This is the Classic System fonts folder.)
b. Remove any duplicate fonts. Leave the fonts you want to use in Classic System programs in the Classic System fonts folder. Otherwise, either of the other two folders will work for OS X.
c. Restart your Mac.
d. Open MS Word

If you have tried both of these solutions, and Word still says you have corrupted fonts installed, please contact Microsoft technical support for help.

Run Microsoft AutoUpdate to ensure that your installation of Office 2004 bugs and security issues are minimized.

Back