freaky iBook burned CD in XP machine

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
well this is one for the archives of freaky XP/Mac interactions :p

I had someone borrow a computer from me, they had to do a presentation. I gave them an XP machine since most people use PeeCees. In any case, they pop their home grown CD in the drive and the CD opens, and there are two files on it, normal up to here. They try to open them, and they couldnt. Windows told them that there was some bad sector, or permiossion problem, or something like that (poor thing it was so confused :p)

Anyway, I take the CD back to the office with me and put it in a 98 machine. The 98 machine flat out refused to see the CD in the drive. So I pop it in my mac and all was well. I loaded their stuff on a ZIP that I had lying around and gave it to them.

They then informed me that the person who burned the thing did it on an iBook (and he probably did not know what the heck he was doing :p --- he should have burned it in ISO9660 if he did know what he was doing). In any case all ended well, but I found it REALLY strange that XP would recognize a mac burned CD, probably in HFS+

weird! :confused:

Admiral

I had same problem before.

Everybody blamed on Mac but I think it relates to some mechanism with Window because the CD that didn't work at work worked with my wife's IBM laptop at home.

Anyway, that's why I don't do PC.

P.S. Yes I am using PC at work :mad:

Doesn't Finder burning automatically do hybrid (HFS+/ISO9660) format? That's really weird. can it be that M$ is working on better supporting Mac stuff? Methinks not. :eek:

lol I use a lot of things at work :p
this was weird, but if its burned as a hybrid I dont see why it would give you access or disk errors, but still work fine on a mac, and not work at all on a windows 98 machine

Mac burns CD with hybrid (HFS+/ISO9660) format automatically.

It worked with my wife's laptop with Win 98 but didn't work with PC with Win 2000 at work.

Anyway, that was weird.

I still think it has to do with Window :confused:

Maybe this person was using Toast, and burned a "Mac Volumes" CD, or whatever that format is called. :confused:

Back