Free Retail Copy of Panther?!

alphap1us

Registered
What is the deal with those green software coupons that came with my new iBook and I assume come with all new macs? Supossedly, they are redeemable for new software. Can I use one to get panther when it comes out? I doubt they would let me walk away with DVD Studio Pro for just a green coupon. But why have that stuff in there if they aren't going to use it?

By the way, this post was renamed to its present title after "Green Software Coupons" failed to get any responses.

You know, this is a question that is asked every so often and no one ever has an answer for it. It's an enigma. It seems to me that Apple hands them out and acts like they don't exist. I have 6. :)

Maybe we Apple users can think of creative ways to make use of our Apple coupons ... like an Apple currency! trade, swatch, barter, buy and sell stuff with it ... I'll trade you my 3 Apple coupons for your uh, 3 Apple coupons ...

The first time I saw these kinds of coupons was with the purchase of Mac OS X 10.0 ... and I was like, "hey, that's cool. Coupons are often good for free things, and discounts!" Sure enough, months later, when OS X 10.1 came out, Apple would take one of your coupons and then give you an OS X 10.1 update CD.... and it was a good thing. Because... well, we'd have been pissed if they charged $129 for that update. However, Jaguar and Panther have been pay updates.... I suppose Apple still gives you those coupons just in case there's a big update that's dire... You know... Just in case. *shrugs*

fuzz: A swatch is a color sample. Just FYI.

I haven't seen any of these green coupons. Anyone mind scanning one and posting it?

Maybe you can only get major updates that don't cost an extra set of fingers with this coupon. Maybe it shows that you actually bought the software, and you're entitled to the free updates that Apple ever really has.

I think if a major OS update is released, and you bought your new Mac within a certain time frame of when it was released, you can use those to get the update for free.

Other than that, they're probably not good for much. :p

nope, it happened before. if you buy a powermac g5 30 days (or later) before Panther is released, that coupon will buy you a copy.

my mom got snow imac and got jag for 20 clams.. did not have to use coupon just put in serial number of comp on the web and it was 20 bucks instead of 129.

Putting this back to Apple General, as it's not really a Panther subject...

Any way to change the thread header as well? I keep clicking on it, thinking Apple released a Panther beta... hoping, hoping, hoping. :)

Back