Fubar Terminal after upgrade

holmBrew

Official Volunteer
Is anyone elses Terminal sort of fubar after doing the 'Upgrade' method of install?

I did a full 'Erase and Install' on my PB and and 'Upgrade' install on my desktop, and I must say that the 'Erase and Install' the the better of the two. A pain in the but, but better.

Terminal works fine on my PB.

So i figured it out. :D

/usr/share/init/tcsh is gone.

The preset tcsh alias, rc, envronment, and the others are now in: /usr/share/tcsh/examples/

The funky error went away after I partially followed the instruction in: /usr/share/tcsh/examples/README

/usr/share/tcsh/examples/README makes mention of /usr/share/init/tcsh but since it isn't there it doesn't matter.

if you still have ~/Libradry/init/... follow the instructions at the beginning of /usr/share/tcsh/examples/README with make use of you personalized shell setting.

yes. It is fubar

what the heck is up with this??
[darklotus:~] reloaded% ls -la
ls: -la: No such file or directory

Tab auto completion no longer works.

my path is screwed up and i dont know how to fix it [ex, typing a shell program name results in "command not found" even when you are in the programs folder]

ok, i fixed my path

edited /etc/csh.login

# System-wide .login file for csh(1).

setenv PATH "/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin/:/usr/local/sbin/"
set autolist

for some reason /usr/local/bin was not in there...
set autolist fixed tab completion [it lists the files in a dir when you hit tab now]

I am also getting this with every new terminal window:

Last login: Sun Aug 25 08:56:32 on ttyp1

Where the hell is that being set?

I am not great with shell scripts, do you see it being set in these?

::::::::::::::
csh.cshrc
# System-wide .cshrc file for csh(1).

if ($?prompt) then
set promptchars = "%#"
if ($?tcsh) then
set prompt = "[%m:%c3] %n%# "
else
set prompt = "[%m:%c3] `id -nu`%# "
endif
endif
csh.login
# System-wide .login file for csh(1).

setenv PATH "/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
csh.logout
# System-wide .logout file for csh(1).

'Last login:' is coming from /usr/bin/login. I don't know if there's a way to turn it off (and I like it there, so I'm not really looking for a way ;) ). I run ksh, and it shows up there; mucking about in profiles and .rc files for the various shells probably won't do you much good.

I only get the last login when I ssh or telnet to my machine. If i just open a new terminal window, I don't see it. OSX has always done this and I sorta like it as well.

Anyway, like kenny said, if it shows up under different shells, then it won't be controlled by the /etc/csh.* files.

The wierd thing is, it doesn't show up on my PowerBook. The main difference between the installs (pb vs. desktop) is that I did a complete 'Erase and Install' on my PowerBook and just an 'Upgrade' on my desktop...

It is a preference setting for the Terminal.app

I guess the lesson here is to always check the prefs first :) ?

Attachments

• login.jpg
    login.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 48
Originally posted by holmBrew
It is a preference setting for the Terminal.app

I guess the lesson here is to always check the prefs first :) ?

That's not it. The preference setting in Terminal.app will prevent you seeing it (probably because it doesn't come through login the same way), but it's still there (I still say in /usr/bin/login). The proof? I use PuTTY on my Windows machines to do SSH, and opening a connection from there still shows the 'Last login:' bit.

But, whatever. If the Terminal pref does it for you. Just don't come crying to me when it turns up again... :)

Attachments

• putty.jpg
    putty.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 28
Ya, I get it when I SSH to the box too, but I also get:

Last login: Sat Aug 24 01:32:42 2002
Welcome to Darwin!
TERM_PROGRAM: Undefined variable.

I wonder where I define that?

Originally posted by kenny
'Last login:' is coming from /usr/bin/login. I don't know if there's a way to turn it off (and I like it there, so I'm not really looking for a way ;) ). I run ksh, and it shows up there; mucking about in profiles and .rc files for the various shells probably won't do you much good.

Well if you have an empty file called .hushlogin in your home directory, you shouldn't get any messages at all when you log in.

Originally posted by holmBrew
So i figured it out. :D

/usr/share/init/tcsh is gone.

The preset tcsh alias, rc, envronment, and the others are now in: /usr/share/tcsh/examples/

The funky error went away after I partially followed the instruction in: /usr/share/tcsh/examples/README

/usr/share/tcsh/examples/README makes mention of /usr/share/init/tcsh but since it isn't there it doesn't matter.

if you still have ~/Libradry/init/... follow the instructions at the beginning of /usr/share/tcsh/examples/README with make use of you personalized shell setting.

Whheeeewwwwww!!! I thought I had lost my mind. holmBrew, you have saved my bacon! When I upgraded to Jag, all my Terminal settings seemed to be lost, forever. Nothing worked the way it was supposed to, and for the life of me, I couldn't figure it out.

Thanks loads.

holmBrew,
Code:
Welcome to Darwin! 
TERM_PROGRAM: Undefined variable.
There is a typo in /usr/share/tcsh/examples/aliases. Change the line that says:

if ("$TERM_PROGRAM" == "Apple_Terminal") then

to:

if ("$?TERM_PROGRAM" == "Apple_Terminal") then

Cheers...

I found my MySQL broke after upgrading to Jag = I edited my $PATH as per some postes on this site - I am NOT a UNIX user - and now I get this:

/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin: Command not found.
[Scott:~] scott%

I have managed to reinstall MYSQL but I cant get the bastard to start up - it was all so easy in 10.1.5 - I love the speed but this is getting me down -

This seems to be happening to alot of people is this a problem with Jag or with users like me fiddling where they have no idea....

you have probably made a mistake in the script where you editted the path.

regarding mysql, are you sure you are starting it as the correct user? try sudo safe_mysqld

Back