G4 upgrade card

THEMACER

Registered
Well i have been wanting to upgrade my g4 400mhz. The most popular and best reviews card was the powerlogix's here's a link http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=753351

I was thinking, will it be better to upgrade it or buy a whole new system? Everyone out there that got one of these or a upgrade card to recommend let me know. I trust you guys so let me know what u guys would do in my situation.

I just upgraded my powerbook G3 Wallstreet 233Mhz to a G4 500Mhz using the Sonnet CrescendoWS. And I can tell you my friend that it's realy worth the money. I payed $399 and now I have a powerbook that performs way better than an iBook.
I have two mac now running a Crescendo upgrade and that saved me a lot of money. But remember that you never can keep up with the fastest machines because these upgrades always are slower than the fastest mac. But never teh less I think it's a very good bargain.

Be a little carefull in choosing your upgrade though. When I wanted to upgrade my powerbook I also looked at powerlogic because they were a little cheaper. Then I found out that they only supported 128Mb RAM in my powerbook, exactly the same as Apple originally recommends. But the powerbook G3 supports up to 512 Mb.

Succes with your decission.
Ebonit

Another very reputable upgrade company that I've had great luck with is Other World Computing. I've done 3 upgrades myself using Otherworld products. They're normaly not retail box upgrades with instructions in the box but they are tons cheaper at the same or better quality that many other major brands. I've seen many upgrades that didn't even need any cache control software needed. If you do need instructions they do have printable instructions on their site.

A great place to look for upgrade compatablity is www.xlr8yourmac.com. They have a huge database that people submit their upgrades to and describe the process that they went through. That's where I found out about Otherworld's products.

If i but the powerlogix's card will there be any problem when update to future os after jaguar? I dont want any problems. If i buy this card and install is that it no other worries about some software causing conflicts with other progs?

I put the Powerlogix 1Ghz card in my G4/450/AGP and have no problems running Jaguar. Doubtful there will be any problems with any newer systems. The only software involved is for the Cache. Machine runs X great now. Also put the ATI 8500 card in.

Well since we both have similar g4's and same video card. Do you think the speed increase was worth it. Do u wish you would have bought a new system instead becuase this upgrade card is all my money so want to make sure i get the best deal. THanks

With the processor upgrade and video card, well worth it. I'm completely satisfied with my machine now.

I've just installed my sonnet crescendo g4 500 and WOW! this baby rocks.
It's really worth it. I now hope video performance increases with jaguar (still not have it).
Now I can use my PB with OSX like normal! hehehe

Back