G4 Won't Start

michael94043

Registered
I have a G4 dual 1.25 tower
Doesn't start when I push the start button on the monitor or the front of the box.

If I unplug it from the wall and plug it back in once or twice it starts.

I've replaced the battery and makes no difference.

What do you think
Michael

I have a G4 dual 1.25 tower
Doesn't start when I push the start button on the monitor or the front of the box.

If I unplug it from the wall and plug it back in once or twice it starts.

I've replaced the battery and makes no difference.

What do you think
Michael

Does the power button light up for a brief second, then go out?

There should be a PMU reset button on the logic board. Just unplug the power, press the reset button ONCE and only ONCE. Plug the power back in and see if it starts. If not very likely it needs a power supply. If the inside of the machine is pretty dusty and filthy, there is a good chance the lack of airflow did in the power supply.

I have two of these machines sitting at my house right now (dual 1.25GHz G4 MDD), both with dead power supplies.

One will start intermittently after finagling around with the power cord, PMU reset and PRAM battery. Shortly after starting, though, it will kernel panic, freeze, or spontaneously shut down.

The other won't start at all.

Both exhibit the symptom of pressing the power button and having the button light up for the duration of the press -- but after releasing the button, the light goes off. Through much research and a little blood/sweat/tears, I have deduced that the power supplies are bad (they are both Samsung-brand power supplies). This seems to be a common problem with this model of G4.

There are replacements available online through the likes of eBay, Amazon, etc., but they run up $300 or more sometimes. There are also guides available online for modding a standard ATX power supply as a replacement.

So, my vote is that your power supply is gone as well. Since these machines go used for around $200 to $400, it seems ridiculous to spend that amount on a single power supply -- it would be more economical to purchase a used, complete system!

Back