G5 Graphics Card Question

CJG86

Registered
I am looking to order a G5 but I dont know which video card to order. I will be doing alot of video editing and maybe some photoshop. What would people recommend the best one.

Thank In Advance.

You don't need a powerful video card for those tasks. For video editing, you need a fast hard drive and a sturdy Firewire connection, both of which come with the G5's. For Photoshop, you need lots and lots of RAM.

If you want to branch into serious 3D modeling and animation, or degenerate :)D hee) to hardcore gaming, then you need a powerful video card. Any top-of-the-line ATI or NVidia card will do spectacularly in these fields. The G5's already come with very good graphics cards, so you don't need to worry about this field for your tasks.

High video cards can still be useful for the tasks he listed. C'mon arden, you know our friend Quartz Extreme!

The two options for 64Mb video cards are the Nvidia and the ATI. Is there any real difference in those two. About the RAM I went to Crucial.com and for the G5 they only have sticks up to 512 but if you buy the memory from apple they can give you 1GB sticks. Where can i find 1GB sticks becuase apple seems to charge alot for memory.

Lycander, I know that better graphics cards help at least a little in just about every area, but the G5's already come with more-than-decent cards and the tasks CJG described don't need more pixel pushing than he'll get with the stock card in a G5.

Stick with the top ATI that Apple offers. If you find you do not like the quality after a few months, you can get a replacement. By that time, there will be several available for the G5.

Personally, I don't think you will need to upgrade/replace it.

Back