G5 iBooks ???

G5 iBooks

• Fact

• Rumor

Results are only viewable after voting.
not sure it's a misprint. digitimes says that asustek and foxconn will be shipping x number of units this quarter, and then they go on to say that they will START shipping ibook/powerbook g5s. if they were indeed g4s, thats what, 3 typos on one page, and they would continue shipping them, not start.

ahh that was poorly written, hopefully you understood.

It would have to be a revised version of the G5 chip I think because right now they use too much power.

Captain Code said:
It would have to be a revised version of the G5 chip I think because right now they use too much power.

Not only that, but they run too hot! You need three fans for one processor in the large heatsink that is the G5 tower. How do they expect to make a usable laptop that's going to be too hot to hold in your lap!

Hmm…gonna read the articles to see if I can find out more. Maybe they've been holding out on us, eh? :)

The G4 (7447A) running at 1.33GHz has a 'typical' power consumption of 18 watts, at 1.42 GHz it has a 'typical' power consumption of 21 watts.

The G5 (970FX) running at 1.4 GHz has 'typical' power consumption of 12.3 watts, at 2.0 GHz it has a 'typical' consumption of 24.5 watts. (( Above 2.0GHz is where the PPC970FX starts to suck power like crazy and produce tons of heat. ))

The issue isn't heat or power consumption. It's supply. IBM is having problems supplying G5 (PPC970FX) chips. It's a well know issue right now. When they figure out the supply issue, we'll see the G5 based laptops from Apple.

um. some apple guy came out and said "it ain't happenin' soon, folks".

surely they aren't going to explicitly deny it, if they are coming. i figure he said that, because they AREN'T coming, and people are not buying G4 'books because they don' want to buy one a week before G5 models come out..

Well, I'm SURE iBook G5 is going to happen _some_ day. The report suggests Q2 2005, so this could mean around WWDC or a bit later even, until we're actually getting our hands on it.

We all knew the PB G5 would come sometime this year, so why not the iBooks, too? The G4 _is_ a bit long in the tooth, so I don't exactly see a point in doubting that both a PB G5 and an iBook G5 would come some day...

mdnky said:
The G4 (7447A) running at 1.33GHz has a 'typical' power consumption of 18 watts, at 1.42 GHz it has a 'typical' power consumption of 21 watts.

The G5 (970FX) running at 1.4 GHz has 'typical' power consumption of 12.3 watts, at 2.0 GHz it has a 'typical' consumption of 24.5 watts. (( Above 2.0GHz is where the PPC970FX starts to suck power like crazy and produce tons of heat. ))

The issue isn't heat or power consumption. It's supply. IBM is having problems supplying G5 (PPC970FX) chips. It's a well know issue right now. When they figure out the supply issue, we'll see the G5 based laptops from Apple.

Good links. I'm very surprised that the power consumption is so low!! This bodes very well for G5 Powerbooks and iBooks.

The last mac to go G5, are you forgetting the Mac mini and the eMac. Since the mini is the low-end solution I doubt they will go G5 before the iBook. Just my 2 cents though.

Well, I cant help thinking that it might be a rumor, but I'm hoping soo much that its true - cuz u have to admit that'd be sweet

iBook G5 before Powerbook G5? Puh-leaze... ain't gonna happen. :rolleyes:

If IBM built a $3 billion facility to produce PPC chips, why are they having such supply problems?

And the G4 is not long in the tooth just because it is not the latest, greatest processor. Every fairly recent G4 I've used has been quite powerful and responsive.

Arden: Read the links. No-one says the iBook would go G5 _before_ the PowerBook. The document says they'd _both_ go G5 in Q2/2005.

Pengu said:
um. some apple guy came out and said "it ain't happenin' soon, folks".

Exactly...but that was said due to the supply problem. It has nothing to do with heat or energy usage.

I think Apple learnt from their iPod mini fiasco, where they released a product they couldn't supply. Instead of doing that again, they wisely waited until such a time that they can supply the product in sufficient numbers.

In recent years, WWDC saw a lot of PowerBooks and iBooks around developers. I guess Apple will want to use WWDC '05 to show off the new 'books. But that's really just a guess that would make sense to me.

Whether the "ain't happening soon" has to do with heat, power or availability doesn't, after all, concern me as a user. I want Apple to create a PowerBook G5 as soon as possible - but it shouldn't be at the cost of battery power, heat dissipation or performance. The least I'd want was a PB G5 that was slightly slower than earlier PB G4s but "64bit" and about a pound heavier, you know...

Back