G5 is it a myth

callieX

Registered
Well it has almost been 2 years now since the first rumor of the G5. Every Macworld since then I hope this will be when they annouce it. I don't know why I hung up on it. I guess it because of my luck. I bought a IIcx right before the IIci came out. The IIci was a better machine. I bought a 7300 right before the G3 came out. I bought a wallstreet right before the switch to usb and firewire. I should buy a computer now so that Apple can release the G5. Is there any hope for January?

Now I have heard rumors of an intel Mac.

Calliex

A good rule of thumb is: BUY THE COMPUTER YOU NEED TODAY otherwhise youll always be waiting for the upgrade... i know it is frustrating to buy a computer and few months after for the same prce there is something better...but if you keep thinking this way...you ll never buy a computer...so BUY what you NEED TODAY :)

Hope this hlep

A good rule of thumb is: BUY THE COMPUTER YOU NEED TODAY otherwhise youll always be waiting for the upgrade...

I agree with you. I know there is always something better about every 6 months. I just don't want to on the cusp of major change like the move to G3 or the move from serial/scsi to usb/firewire.

Calliex

...buy a new computer every 3 months and sell the 'old' one. (I just ordered my new 17'' LCD iMac) It will keep you up to speed with newest developments, while the costs aren't that high and it forces you to save money for an upgrade with only a short time-span. (for me, it is easier to save with a specific goal in mind for only some months, then to do this for 3 years before updating an obsolete system then) ;)

I don't think I could do that, even if I had the money. I customize and organize everything on my cube, and I have so many things changed from the standard starting point of the interface, that the setup time for a new machine every 3 months would be insane.

Originally posted by callieX
Well it has almost been 2 years now since the first rumor of the G5. Every Macworld since then I hope this will be when they annouce it. I don't know why I hung up on it. I guess it because of my luck. I bought a IIcx right before the IIci came out. The IIci was a better machine. I bought a 7300 right before the G3 came out. I bought a wallstreet right before the switch to usb and firewire. I should buy a computer now so that Apple can release the G5. Is there any hope for January?

Now I have heard rumors of an intel Mac.

Calliex

When the Weather Channel reports that Hell has frozen over, I think you can expect the G5 within days after that. :p

Time your puchaces just after revision, that is the only way you are going to get a longer lifespan out of it. For instance, buying a quicksilver powermac now woudl be a bad idea even if the rumors of the new one wernt fling about. This is because even if they werent doing a case change or some such, the machines are due for another speed bump. Buy just after the bump, and you will get the most life out of it.

If having the latest and greates is not whats important, there are a few companys offering 1GHz upgrades for the cube i hear, and you can also put a better graphics card in it with some slight heat sync modifications.

Back