Garage Band Install Question

Go3iverson

Registered
I know its not released until Friday, but maybe someone here got a copy early or may know the answer...

Ok, so GarageBand needs a DVD player to install. So does iDVD. Now, I once installed iDVD on a PowerMac without a DVD drive, it would start, but say a DVD drive was needed and stop. That was by moving the installer.

Do you think it would be possible to do that or to boot a non-DVD Mac into FireWire Target Disk Mode, connected to a SuperDrive equipped TiBook and install the software that way? I want to set up one of my additional machines in an attempt to show some people how great the software and OS is, but no one's taking my laptop! :)

The reason Garage Band needs a DVD player to install is, the software doesn't fit on a CDROM, it comes on a DVD disc. Previously iDVD required a superdrive to be installed to run, this is no longer true. With iDVD 4 you are now able to work on iDVD projects and save them on a non-superdrive machine so that you can later transfer them to a superdrive equipped machine to burn.

Brian

The total iLife pack is supposed to come in at a hefty 4gb of space (which is on a DVD disc). Waaaaay more than a normal CD can hold. Therefore the DVD drive would be required since the media is DVD.

iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie will ship on CDs and GarageBand and iDVD will ship on DVDs, all in the same package.

FireWire target disk mode would probably work -- I don't see why it wouldn't.

I think I'm not quite coming through clearly.

I understand that its a large install and needs to be on DVD media, what I'm asking is, could I load the DVD into my TiBook with SuperDrive and connect my DVD-less Quicksilver to the TiBook in FireWire Target Disk Mode and install it that way?

Thanks for the replies though!

You could also just share the files over the network. Copy them to the HD of your powerbook, then share the folder.

Brian

Nice, good work answering the question while I post it! ;)

Thanks, we'll give it a shot!

I'd really hate to have to buy a DVD drive to do this.

That would work -- more specifically, copy the installer off of the DVD to the PowerBook, then share/copy that installer over to the other Mac.

Or, simply share the DVD and run the installer remotely.

Good thinking, btoneill! We did this all the time at my old job under OS 7/8/9 -- some of our Macs didn't have CD drives, so we would share the CD from another Mac and install remotely... worked perfectly, as if the CD were actually inserted on the local machine.

Go3iverson said:
I'd really hate to have to buy a DVD drive to do this.

Heh... I did just that simply for GarageBand! http://www.transintl.com has Pioneer DVD+-RW SuperDrives (model A06) for $129, and that was an offer I couldn't pass up. SuperDrive should arrive today, just in time to get it installed for iLife tomorrow!

Good luck, and let us know what method you used and the success of it!

I read the only iDVD and GarageBand will come on DVD disks, iTunes, iPhoto will be on CD's.

Just to let you all know, you can't use FireWire Target Disk Mode to install the software. You must install on the boot drive. For those of you without a DVD drive, simply use Disk Utility to create a master image of the DVD (ironically, you'll need a DVD drive for this part), transfer it onto the drive you want it to be on, and install as if that image was the DVD.

A friend is supposed to get iLife soon! I can't wait to see it in action! And if I like it enough maybe I'll buy a copy for myself...oh wait, I broke my DVD drive. :(

Well now that it has been out for a few days, just to fix one detail: The full iLife can be installed via the dvd. Everything but iDVD and Garage Band can be installed from the CD.

As for GarageBand, like most new software it is a little quirky, and a little laggy (the interface). Functions great, though. I spent an hour tonight putting together a cool track. Now if I could only play a piano or guitar I'd be your next American Idol.

Back