Help! Noob switcher cant work MSN for mac!

Huw01

Registered
Having recentlly 'switched' (fed up with viruses/ pop-ups / etc) I've been REALLY happy with OSX. One problem I have though is with MSN Messenger- I can read other people's messages but they can't read mine (even though recipients see the "Huw is typing you a message"). I've double checked font colour! :eek:

Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas of a fix?

Thanks in advance,

Huw

I second that. The official MSN client for Mac is absolute trash, just like the mac version of internet explorer.

I have been using Adium for over a year now and it's by far (IMO) the best IM client out there since it is mutli-protocol, highly customizable, and constantly being worked on by an incredible team of developers who are always lurking around their support forums to answer your questions.

Huw01 said:
Having recentlly 'switched' (fed up with viruses/ pop-ups / etc) I've been REALLY happy with OSX. One problem I have though is with MSN Messenger- I can read other people's messages but they can't read mine (even though recipients see the "Huw is typing you a message"). I've double checked font colour! :eek:

Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas of a fix?

Thanks in advance,

Huw
Do they receive anything? How is your network configured?

any other MSN clients out there - i really don't like adiums layout. messenger sucks in it's feature set, but is intuitive and well layed out - easy to decipher all the diferent statuses (stati?) and a nice clean window. however at the moment it wont let me sign in. i've re-installed it but the spinning sign in thing just carries onto infinity. any ideas on a) how to fix it or b) other msn clients? why isn't iChat supported?? apple are being silly not to tap into the huge hotmail thing - all my friends are on msn

just downloaded adium, and it looks nice. i set up two accounts fairly fast(mine and my girlfriends), but how do i change my girlfriends icon?
as i set up my account first, my system-icon showed up automaticly. all well and good, i though. however, as i added my gf's account, i can't get it away and i guess all here contacts are seing me on the picture.

been fiddling around with all the prefs, but no answer so far.. any solutions?
i'm running jaguar btw.

EDIT; and why can't i have two different contact-list. one for each account? i know this doesn't make much sense if you are one user with multuple accounts, wanting them organized together, but er are 2 different persons wanting to be online at the same time.. on windows you just run msn 2 times, and both will be online, mac won't let you do that..
confused. no "xxxis typing you a message either.."
going back to msn i guess..

alex.

I tried Fire, Messenger and Proteus in the past although I finally settled on Adium almost a year ago.

Adium is so customizable, but if you don't know what it can look like, it may take some fiddling to get it right. You can set the categories for your contacts, so just name the groups MSN Yahoo etc and tweak the contacts into those groups (choose info from a chat window and set the group)

As for "someone is writing" to you, the widget on the tab lets you know who's typing.

Lt Major Burns said:
... why isn't iChat supported?? apple are being silly not to tap into the huge hotmail thing - all my friends are on msn

Just because MSN uses MSFT proprietary encoding. Free compatible messengers are tolerated by MSFT, but not others... and BTW iChat has features that are not (yet) available in MSN.

Back