HELP!!! pinting problems

seemoore

Registered
I have a printer on my Mac G5 and my wife would like 2 print to it from her laptop. I have a home network Cable modem, Router everything works just can see the Mac from windows and vice versa. Have not convinced her to change to Mac yet. lol I have enabled windows sharing and print sharing but still no go. Thanks

Well, it would help what version of OS X (I think the OS X might be 10.3.x because of the G5) and Windows is running. Plus, the System Sharing Preference setting and the Windows control panel settings. Also, make sure the windows machine has the drivers for the printer. This site may help too.

gsahli said:

I'm also trying to allow a networked PC to use the printer that is USB-connected to my Mac. That guide seems good, although it contains the following sentence:

"Enable Samba printer sharing in System Preferences by clicking Sharing -> Windows File Sharing. Caution: if your network is not behind a firewall blocking ports 137 and 139, and you haven't limited access in /etc/smb.conf, enabling Samba could share your printers and files with the world."

Can someone explain to me in plain English how I can make sure I'm blocking the appropriate ports and/or limiting access in /etc/smb.conf? Is this step perhaps not even necessary in 10.3.3? I don't even seem to have a file called smb.conf on my computer.

I'm running OS X 10.3.3, with Firewall turned On in the Sharing preferences pane (but allowing Personal File Sharing, Windows Sharing, and Printer Sharing), and using a Linksys router to connect to the Internet.

OrganLeroy said:
Can someone explain to me in plain English how I can make sure I'm blocking the appropriate ports and/or limiting access in /etc/smb.conf?

Your router is providing your firewall (unless you've turned it off). Nevermind the stuff about smb.conf. In fact, you can turn off your Mac firewall.

Good luck.

Back