Hidden goodies in 10.1.1...

Kinniken

Registered
Now, they might have appeared in 10.1, but I know they were not there in 10.0...

-you can now choose your mic for speech recognition
-the "slideshow" screensaver is vastly improved:
-it no longer needs to pre-load the picts
-it will loop though all of them, not just 5 picked at random
-it includes new effects, such as simply sliding thought a pict (compared to zooming in/out)

No big deal, but a few nice touch =)

an annoying touch - it seems to keep icons from being covered (even partially covered) by the dock. When I startup, my icons are moved about 2 inches into the screen so they are not partially under the dock.

what they really need is to keep windows away from the dock!

an annoying touch - it seems to keep icons from being covered (even partially covered) by the dock. When I startup, my icons are moved about 2 inches into the screen so they are not partially under the dock.

I just tried it, and after turning off "Always Snap To Grid", I had no problem dragging icons down to where the dock is and having the dock pop up and obscure them.

II've experienced the same problem as javintosh when I have my Dock along the right side.

It doesn't just move the icons so they arene't covered by the Dock, it moves them WAY into the desktop (like j. said, about two inches on my screen too). I think it must be calculating how far it needs to move the icons away from the Dock if you had it at maximum size. I haven't checked this, I'm not at my Mac right now. But it is my guess.

If I were you, turn off always snap to grid, and then use apple-drag to move icons so that they snap to the grid when you want them to...

Bernie :eek:)

funny thing...

I had my global view option to snap to grid, but I had my desktop set to none ('cause the default snap to grid is much too wide). After I changed my global option to none I could once again place icons partially underneath the desktop.

thanks anyhow :D

Originally posted by bighairydog
    If I were you, turn off always snap to grid, and then use apple-drag to move icons so that they snap to the grid when you want them to...

Bernie :eek:)

Nope, that does NOT solve the problem. If you have your dock set to the right and try that trick, the icons will STILL move 8 miles to the left.

Oops, my mistake I was running 10.1 earlier today and it worked, but not now I'm on 10.1.1 and I get the same. Well, as the english say, ours not to reason why...

Berrnie :eek:)

It was working for me, then I logged out and back in and the behavior changed yet again.

My existing icons are not moved away from the dock, but icons that are created when I download a file to the desktop are still moved off to the left by about two inches.

when is 10.1.2 coming out?
maybe they'll revert to 10.1 behavior. :rolleyes:

OS X 10.1.1 does not introduce the choosing your mic for speech recognition feature. This was most definitely in 10.1, and I remember it might even have been in 10.0.4, but I can't be sure about that. All I know is it is not new to 10.1.1. ;)

I think I remember that option (choosing your Mic) in 10.0.4 as well, it's just that since it was in speech recognition it wasn't often noticed. It should be under the same controls as the speakers, or both, or best have a system-mic that is automatically selected, and if you want to use another one for just speech recog, you can.

The issue with the relocation of the icons when the Dock is positioned on the right no longer happens in Mac OS X 10.1.2.

Just thought you'd all like to know.

Back