how can I play my DVD's?

petetschudy

Registered
I recently hooked up an ezquest external firewire dvd drive to my computer. When I installed os x it didn't install the dvd player. Is there any other os x dvd player software out there?

Thanks! Pete

It is also possible to get the DVD Player app from the OS X install CDs without reinstalling by using a program called "Pacifist". It can find things in the install packages and install them. I haven't tried it, though.

Yeah, you can get it out of the package, but DVD Player won't play from an external fire wire drive. Found that out when I decided to switch my CD burner and DVD drive around. It's the stock DVD drive that came with my G4/450. I bought a fire wire enclosure so I can make internal devices external ones. When I switched them, I found out that I couldn't use the DVD player to watch DVDs anymore :\ Was oh so fun to have to swap them back around.

I downloaded and tried using VLC
but I keep getting a "failed allocating new buffer(decoder stuck?)" error.

This program seems EXTREMY complicated. Have you been able to get it to work. Are there simple instructions to get a DVD to play?

Any help is gratly appreciated!

In VLC, you go to File -> open disc. You should be on the Disc tab. Make sure it has selected the DVD option, and pick the drive (it seems to do a reasonable job of finding the right drive automatically though), then hit okay. It will seem as if nothing has happened.

Then, just hit play, and Command-F for full screen.

Back