How did we all ungrade to panther?

orbstah

Registered
Just a quick question, but possibly an important one.
Did we all do a clean install of Panther or did we upgrade our current drives.

I am just asking because a lot of the posts would suggest that the prefrences from various programs are not so good with the latest release of OSX.

I myself will be doing a clean install as it is not to hard to replace all of my apps again under osx due to the nice drag and drop features.

are people who done a clean install haveing any problems at all.

And is everybody up to date with there program versions? i.e. my pal upgraded to osx 10.2.8 and said his usb overdrive wasn't working properly. i ask him what the preferences pane said, to which he replied it isnt in there it's still a seperate program lol. I told him it had been in the system preferences pane for at least three versions that i can remember.

well thanks for reading this post

Orbstah

imac 17" G4 1ghz 1 gig ram super drive OSX10.2.8(10.3 when apple delivers me discs:) )

"downgrade" to Panther? Many have got and installed Panther asap it was released, and many even before. Remember, here most questions you see are if something is a bug or how to make something work, those features working get kind of not so much attention. I played with 10.3 friday, and didn't find major things that were not working, then again that was in the Apple Store.

I will hopefully receive my copy of Panther soon (has been shipped). I will definitely opt for the clean install, and .. well, I'll calculate there will have to be (as you say too) some issues with many programs, and even things in Panther itself, that will get their update very soon. Those who can wait lets say a month will find it sure even smoother (after 10.3.1 or so..), and I know many people who have the patience of waiting for it for a few months.

Your Mac should be just fully compatible (at least for its hardwre) for 10.3 :)

USBOverdrive is a separate application at the moment.

Here's a quote from the website:

Many of you are asking why the USB Overdrive X is not a System Preferences pane. The short answer is that prefPanes must be written in Objective-C and require a complete rewrite of the entire user interface. Our native prefPane is almost complete and we'll be releasing it soon, but it took some time and we really wanted to release the USB Overdrive for Mac OS X as quickly as possible. The current user interface is not a prefPane, but it is fully functional and it made it possible to release the USB Overdrive for Mac OS X a lot earlier.

I have done one clean install and will do one upgrade sometime soon. Either way, I expect the same outcome.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
USBOverdrive is a separate application at the moment.

Here's a quote from the website:

erm no it aint it has a prefrence pane right now, you must be using an old version aswell :p well it can be accessed from the system preferences anyway, i suppose it could just be a launcher. but either way its in there

I don't have it installed, but if it's like Microsoft's Intellipoint Software, then the preference pane is only a launcher for the program itself.

I did the full hard drive wipe and reinstall on all machines. Total pain, but worth it for the fresh clean feeling.

I'm on a new hard drive so I'm not sure I feel the need to wipe and install, any benefits for a couple months old HD?

Either way, I should be either getting it today or tomorrow. :) <--- is pretty excited

just upgraded on a three week old factory install of 10.2.8 rather than go buy blank dvds to back up

I had mixed feelings going in, but Im completely satisfied with the results.

stuffit 8.0 broke but everything else is perfect

I just upgraded over 10.2.8. Easy and everything works as it should. I have an unhealthy trust when it comes to Apple software.

PS. I am also now offically free of OS 9. I have backed up my old system folder and applications, but as of now can't boot into 9, and don't have classic set up.

Dave, you can't boot into 9 because you didn't update the 9 drivers for your drive. You'll need to do this if you want OS 9 bootability back.

Did you guys read Scott W's experience with obtaining Panther? After he got it, it went fine. Sounds great...

odd little thing I just noticed, my sound was shifted 3/4 to the left. hard to notice on powerbook speakers but very spooky on headphones until you realize whats going on...

fbp_ said:
odd little thing I just noticed, my sound was shifted 3/4 to the left. hard to notice on powerbook speakers but very spooky on headphones until you realize whats going on...

that used to happen to mine from time to time on 10.2.8

since i did a clean install of Panther, it's gone away...

I wonder if yours could have some hang up from before?

strange stuff indeed!

arden said:
Dave, you can't boot into 9 because you didn't update the 9 drivers for your drive. You'll need to do this if you want OS 9 bootability back.

Did you guys read Scott W's experience with obtaining Panther? After he got it, it went fine. Sounds great...

Actually I didn't know this, but it's not what I meant. I just mean that I won't be going back to 9 anytime soon. Since I got a new scanner that works with X, I have no use for 9 (YAY). I don't use any old software that needs it either.

Maybe the only reason I would would be to load up one of the marathons, but I would probably just do that on my old mac. Speaking of that, I need to get it back from my old roommate.

I definitely did a clean install. First one I've done. :p All the others (OS 10.0.something or other through 10.2.8) I updated.

It's working great, and wasn't too much of a pain to move most of my old stuff over.

Just did an upgrade last night and it took much longer than the clean install. However, so far, everything is here and working well.

Back