How do I change desktop fonts?

maddys_daddy

Registered
I know that the Desktop is actually a finder folder, so I guess the real question is, how do I change finder's fonts? I'd actually like all finder window fonts to be changed to my particular choice of font. I have TinkerTool, and I have changed the System font, which only changed app widget fonts, and such. Ideally, I'd like to change all finder fonts, and the menu bar fonts to my choice of font. If there is no option for this, would it be possible to copy my font and rename it to whatever the name of the default system font is?
Thanks!

LucidaGrande.dfont is the display font. Youy can try removing it, backup somewhere, rename the font you want to use to LucidaGrande.dfont and put it back in ;

system>library>fonts

Don't know if it will work, and Apple says not to do this.

Do the other font change choices in tinkertool (vers 3, of course) give you any help?
the app Silk can be used to change system fonts.
or, One of the haxies that changes the full desktop appearance (if you want to trust them, some are not too stable) like Duality or MetamorphX.

All of these can be found at versiontracker.com

No dice. The other fonts (fixed width, etc.) only change things like terminal fonts and e-mail text fonts and the like. And I have tried duality, but I was unable to install any themes, as they all said that "this theme was designed for an earlier version of OS X than the one you have." Curse me for keeping my OS up to date. I guess I'll keep looking. This is a Unix based system, there HAS to be a way to change this.

You could go through your system files one-by-one in Terminal, looking for "Lucida"... change it to something else...

I don't think Apple intends for us to use something besides Lucida Grande. I know, I'd like to change it as well, but if it can't be done then you're out of luck.

AFAIK there are no font specifications in defaults com.apple.finder ... maybe you can add it? I wouldn't know which command would be needed though ...

No, I tried that a while back. Made up every key I could think of that might relate to fonts, but it didn't work.

Back