How do i connect my g4 to my tv?

LaraCroft

Registered
Hi there,

I have a g4, one of the first one that came out. It has firewire and usb. No video out, as far as I understand (not much :( ).
My tv is about 5 years old, it's a cheap one unlikely :/, so it doesn't have any fancy connector. I bought a scart adaptor with the sound (2 jacks) + video (1 jack, the jellow one - no S video) output/input switch.

What would I need to do now?

Hope someone can give me a tip on this! Thank you in advance

Lara

Thank you for replying ksv
Just one thing: your answer seems, like your picture thumbnail, quite enigmatic for a normal being like me (forget the nick). So....what's a VGA? :cool:

VGA is the standard way to connect a screen to a computer.

If you look at any PC (and most Macs without the new Apple Display Connector) you'll find the cable connecting the screen to the computer looks like a serial port, but with three rows of pins.

By the way, that 3-connector (red, white, yellow) you have is called RCA, which most VCRs and TVs have.

Just a note, I have an iMac flat screen with the new Apple Display Connector. I got a thing called an Apple Video Adaptor that has an SVideo and RCA Video output. But, because my TV has a built-in VCR (and no S-Video) the video signal gets scrambled.

I am assuming this is intentional, on the same principal as the PS/2's DVD copy-protection utility (which won't let you connect the unit through a recordable medium).

If you've got the first G4 like me then the video card will be an ATI rage, which sucks! I just upgraded (not by much though) to an original ATI Radeon Mac Edition which I got on eBay for £30. Its got an S-Video out which will connect to your TV with an adaptor cable and will also let your G4 use Quartz Extreme (if you have Jaguar) which will speed up your system a lot.

How much do VGA-composite adaptors cost? You might be as well getting a slightly newer video card.

Back