How do I install Apple DVD Player withour DVD-Drive?

Let me tell you my story, my son...Well, i bought a 400MHz G4 AGP with the built-in DVD-ROM Drive. It was neat at first, but then I never used it... Later on, I bought a CD-RW Drive that came in a FireWire case. Since I used the CD-RW way more than the DVD, and the FireWire case was so loud, I took the DVD-ROM out of the computer and put it in the FireWire drive and vice versa with the CD-RW Drive. This worked great. I could burn all the time, and it wasn't noisy at all. The only problem arose a few months later when I wanted to play a DVD on the DVD-ROM drive. OS X's DVD Player said it could find the drive. I booted into OS 9, and for some reason, it found it fine and played the DVD. Later, when DVD Player was updated to 3.1.1, I wanted to upgrade, but the installed said it couldn't find the neccesary hardware. Well, I put the DVD-ROM back into the G4 and installed the update. When I put it back in it's case, DVD Player gave me the same error. Then I found this OS X DVD Player hack. I did what the English instructions said (see below) and tried to play the DVD in OS X. I must say, it worked perfectly. So, I believe the answer to your question would be to put the DVD-ROM drive in the computer, install DVD Player, modify it (if in OS X), and enjoy!:D

English Instructions:
Here is how it works :
- Get DVDPLayer 3.1.1 no DVD.sit
- with OS 9, duplicate, and open the DVD Player.app package (with the control click command)
- move the file DVDPlayback in the folder Contents/Framewoks/DVDPlayback.framwork/Versions/A to desktop.
- Use the patch on DVDPlayback on the desktop
- The original file will be renamed Original DVDPlayback
- Put back patched DVDPlayback in Contents/Framewoks/DVDPlayback.framwork/Versions/A
- Close the package and reboot on Mac OS X

Thanks for your post.

I guess that's the solution. I've tried to extract the DVD Player.app from the Installation CD and patch it withour installion of the drive but failed. I definitly need to put the Drive into my Mac, install the software, patch it and deinstall the drive...

Back