How do I setup UseNet groups

mykelee

Registered
I am new to my iMac coming from a PC background. Anyway, this is probably a real simple question, but can anyone help me to setup access to Newsgroups on my iMac (which is what I use to do on a PC via Netscape).

What software do I use in OSX or do I need special software

Many Thanks

Michael

I can whole-heartedly recommend Halime for ease of use. Also, it's freeware (you don't have to pay for it). Some of the other shareware options may have (a few) more advanced options, but Halime is by far the most pleasant for the average user.

http://halime.imdat.de/

enjoy! :D

JeffCGD said:
I can whole-heartedly recommend Halime for ease of use. Also, it's freeware (you don't have to pay for it). Some of the other shareware options may have (a few) more advanced options, but Halime is by far the most pleasant for the average user.

http://halime.imdat.de/

enjoy! :D

I would recommend it, if it didn't create group files over 20 MB and crash a lot. I can't find any good usenet software for OS X, really.

MT Newswatcher X - Disavows all knowledge of articles already read
Entourage - Pathetic threading display options, weak binary support

Is there anything that isn't bloated, handles downloaded/offline posts, and can sort by date in a threaded view?

davidbrit2 said:
I would recommend it, if it didn't create group files over 20 MB and crash a lot. I can't find any good usenet software for OS X, really.

MT Newswatcher X - Disavows all knowledge of articles already read
Entourage - Pathetic threading display options, weak binary support

Is there anything that isn't bloated, handles downloaded/offline posts, and can sort by date in a threaded view?

I don't find that Halime crashes very often at all. Always room for improvement, of course.

With regard to group files, are you referring to your subscription file? If so, mine is only 12Kb. If you are referring to the storage of your viewed posts, if they contain binaries, of COURSE they are going to add up. More on that below.

It COULD handle offline posts more elegantly. Currently it stores viewed posts (but not downloaded posts with binaries - they work fine and are saved to the specified downloads directory) BOTH in the TMP directory and the USERS/APPLICATION SUPPORT/HALIME folder, instead of just of the later for security/privacy reasons. Ideally I would have liked to see all files viewed & downloaded located in the user specified downloads directory. I have emailed the author in this regard.

The only real issue I have is items in the downloads/uploads manager are not saved when you quit. For those of us on dial-up modems, this is a significant issue, as often we cannot download all we want in one session, although we can simply leave the app running until a later date - a less elegant solution to a simple problem. I have also emailed the author in this regard. He suggests this will be amended in a later version.

Halime sorts by date in threaded view just fine, as far as I can see.
With regard to binaries. Halime handles them pretty well, joining them automatically when all parts are available. It also handle YENC files fine too.

All in all, not bad for a FREE software package, don't you think?

JeffCGD said:
All in all, not bad for a FREE software package, don't you think?

Well, I could go get a lot of things for free, but that doesn't make them good. ;-) It looks like the author is discontinuing public releases of Halime, though. It's a shame, because it's got potential.

Back