how good is a video card upgrade?

kafene

Registered
I have a G4 450. I'm not sure what video card came with it.

I do some video editing with FCP3 and it's not dead slow, but I would like to get better processing of video. Would I be better off saving $$ for another computer with a faster processor or should I upgrade my video card? I'm just wondering how much better a video card upgrade would speed up something like video editing or gaming compared to a faster CPU. I can understand that upgrading both would be optimal.

kafene.

Hi - I used to have a G4 450 and upgrading to a Radeon 8500 was the best thing I ever did to that computer - I really liked it. However, you will not get any performance increases with FCP3 via a new card in that machine - it's all horsepower and the only reason I sold my G4 450 and bought a DP 1 GHZ was for FCP3 rendering times. Sorry, but I have been there. I did consider processor upgrades, but they didn't seem cost efficient and the G4 450 will not accept a dp upgrade - only a single processor to 1 GHZ I think.

I hate to say this, but although I simply loved my G4 450 and it was a great computer for many years, for FCP3, a new DP machine will simply blow you away. My DP 1 GHZ is simply amazing and I cannot imagine this machine being "obsolete" for my video and other work for some time to come. It's hard to let go of an old friend, but it may be time (I always get sad when I sell one of my Macs). Try a few renders in iMovie, time them, then go to an Apple store and do the same kind of renders on a couple of DP machines. With a new machine you will have a better card and a DVD drive.

Good luck!

I guess I'll wait to get enough for another Mac. Your input's great. Glad I found someone who went through what I did w/ the same config. mac.

kafene.

I stuck an 8500 in my G4/450 and everything is faster. With Quartz Extreme running you won't be using as much CPU to draw windows which will be available to your applications. You'll be happy with the improvements to your video editing apps. You also might want to look at upgrading the proc on your G4/450. For $230 you can get an 800Mhz upgrade grom GigaDesigns. For around $400 total you can get the 800Mhz proc and a Radeon 8500 (or 9000), and you'll have a box that specs out faster then a brand new 15" iMac or an eMac. The CPU upgrade is a simple drop in replacement. Then you can save your money to buy a 970 based powermac when they start to come down in price (well, once they are released, then come down in price). You'll also be much happier in the mean time.

Brian

Originally posted by btoneill
I stuck an 8500 in my G4/450 and everything is faster. With Quartz Extreme running you won't be using as much CPU to draw windows which will be available to your applications. You'll be happy with the improvements to your video editing apps. You also might want to look at upgrading the proc on your G4/450. For $230 you can get an 800Mhz upgrade grom GigaDesigns. For around $400 total you can get the 800Mhz proc and a Radeon 8500 (or 9000), and you'll have a box that specs out faster then a brand new 15" iMac or an eMac. The CPU upgrade is a simple drop in replacement. Then you can save your money to buy a 970 based powermac when they start to come down in price (well, once they are released, then come down in price). You'll also be much happier in the mean time.

Brian

That sounds awefully good... thanks btoneill.

kafene.

Back