how to install Classic when not installed with OSX in beginning?

llyrwy

censored affidavits
I have installed Jaguar 10.2 on my system on partitions that are Mac OS Extended but without Mac OS 9 drivers on the Volumes. I did not install Classic environment then.

Now, I would like to install Classic. But problem here: when I insert the OS 9 CD and run, there is no valid volume on which i can install the system folder for OS 9.

Please note that I have 4 volume:

volume one: swap
volume two: Mac OS Extended (Jaguar lives here)
volume three: empty
volume four: my stuff and documents are here

I don't understand why I cannot install on volume three. How does one install Classic, when it was not installed the first time round with OS X?

The last time I reformatted a drive in osX, it asked me whether I wanted to include drivers for os9 (otherwise the drive would not be recognised).
Even after selecting this option, os9 could not be installed on the partition that had osX on it (still not quite certain why).
I would suggest attempting to reformat your empty partition with osX disk utility & include the os9 drivers. Then install 9 onto that partition.
OsX scans all available disks for an os9 system to use for classic mode, so will have no problem finding this partition once you are done &, of course, that partition will also be bootable.

cheers

I had a similar problem. I solved it the following way: I copied the system directly under OS X from the insall disk to a partition with no system on it (your empty partition should be ok). Then I updated it using the regular install process (start from the OS 9 install disk).

Reading your story I can't see whether you've started up from th OS 9 CD. If this is not the case; do so. this should work.

Depending on what OS 9 CD was delivered with your computer:

1) If you are reinstalling by using a bootable Mac OS 9 Installation CD (either retail version or one included with your computer) and you need to reinstall Mac OS 9 on the Mac OS X disk, perform a clean installation by following these steps:

1. Start up from the CD, and open the Installer.
2. Click the Options button in the Installer to access the clean installation option.
3. Select the checkbox for clean installation.
4. Install the software.

2) Take a look at Apple Knowledge Base article 106294. It will guide you. http://www.info.apple.com and type in the above number.

Back