How To Install IE 5.1.6 in OS X

hishashigupta

Registered
Hi ,
I have iMac machine and have installed MAC OS X software , And I am not able ti install IE 5.1.6 on my machine.To install it asks me for Classic Preference and I dont have OS 9 installed on my machine.
Please tell me how to install and run the application.

Thanks for the reply but I am into testing the softwares and We need to work on 5.1.6 and I had IE 5.2 over OS X .
To install the 5.1.6 it is asking for " System Classic Prefrence " and nothing works further.

It sounds like you don't have Classic installed, or its not working. Check for a folder called System Folder (as opposed to System, which is OSX) on your hard disk. If its not there then install OS9 from your install CDs, then give IE 5.1 another go.

Originally posted by hishashigupta
Hi ,
I have iMac machine and have installed MAC OS X software , And I am not able ti install IE 5.1.6 on my machine.To install it asks me for Classic Preference and I dont have OS 9 installed on my machine.
Please tell me how to install and run the application.
Sorry I just noticed that you said that OS9 isn't installed, that's the problem. Install OS9 and you'll be fine! :)

Originally posted by hishashigupta
I am into testing the softwares and we need to work on 5.1.6

Strange... why test an obsolete version of a product nbody's using any more ? Just asking you know :)

Because not everyone has the latest version of a browser, and isn't 5.1.6 the latest version of IE for os9? It wasn't so long ago I'd test html in IE 4.5 along with the current browsers. That was a couple of years ago though, and 4.5 sucked!

I did installed OS 9 in my machine but to How make System Classic Preference active . I found somewhere that we need to make a drive kind of thing and then also what is this " Bless " stuff in MAC ..is this similar to seting the Classpath in windows.
Please help, and thanks for your replies.

toast, I thought 5.16 was the latest os9 version, I must be a bit behind, haven't used it for a bit. But older browsers are used for testing to make sure as many people as possible can use your web site as it should look.

hishashigupta, I'm not sure about Bless. Classic should start up by default. If it doesn't, go to System Prefs and Classic. If its not running click Start and make sure 'Start Classic when you log in' is checked for future logins. You should see Classic starting up.

If you're still having problems and you definately have os9 installed, try booting up in os9 intead of using Classic. Just go to Startup Disk in System Prefs and select your os9 folder and reboot, or if you have it installed on a seperate disk or partition just restart and hold down option to select os9. Hope that helps!

I installed MAC OS 9.2 and Classic is also now starting But when I try to run the installable it first asks for starting the Classic Prefrence which I can run then another window opens which says " Classic Environment starting from "./././Systemfolder"
And an alert message comes " The system software on the start up disk only functions on the original media,not if copied to another drive". Please advise me how to proceed.?

Back