How to set-up an easy "network" between 2 macs?

RPS

Registered
I have a classic iMac and the new iMac and I want to transfer some files from one to another without having to use my iPod. My dad said it could be done with the FireWire cable, just put it in both connections of the macs, but that isn't working, what should I do?

The easiest way is to use an Ethernet "crossover" cable -- which is wired slightly differently from a standard Ethernet cable. You can probably buy one at nearly any halfway decent computer store.

You can also use a small ethernet hub with standard cables.

Connect them, then enable sharing on the older iMac and you should be able to mount it as a network drive on the newer iMac. Then drag the files over.

It's not quite Firewire speed, but at least there's no extra software to install.

Easiest and quickest way:
1. Connect the two Macs with 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable.
2. Reboot new iMac holding down the "T" key. You should see a FireWire symbol moving around the screen.
3. The new iMac hard drive should be mounted on the old iMac desktop as if it were a FireWire hard drive.
4. Transfer away at blazing fast speed.

No extra software to install.

[edit] I also see you have external drive(s). Why not copy what you need to external and then to other system?
Same also with iPod. ;)

It should work with any machine with latest firmware. Just updated firmware on my iMac (G3 450Mhz, DV+) and the firmware update enabled FireWire Target Disk Mode.

brianleahy you don't need a crossover cable. An eithernet cable will work just fine. I've done it with a G3 tower and a PowerBook.

Twister

If so, that is a new development. It definitely was NOT the case with my old G3 B&W running OS 9.x. Again, perhaps a new firmware development.

Originally posted by twister
brianleahy you don't need a crossover cable. An eithernet cable will work just fine. I've done it with a G3 tower and a PowerBook.

Twister

:confused: that's wierd... it would involve a ton of hardware and software changes to make that happen. The transmit and receive pins on the ethernet card would have to be swapped. I'd love to see it happen that way though

anyway... it won't work on any of my hardware. Not sure about newer macs

A cross over cable was necessary for me on my G3s (B&W and iMac), I had to make one out of s tandard cable. In fact what I did was also to extend the range, bought 6 core telephone cable and wired it up to the two ends of a current Ethernet cable. Distance is around 30 2 40 feet.

Actually all i did was use an ethernet cable, hooked both machines up to each other, then configured a network of 10.0.0.1 for one and 10.0.0.2 for the other and gave them the same subnet mask. It worked for me. Probably has something to do with newer machines. Like my Powerbook 667.

However that firewire trick looks awesome. I'm going to try that next time i need to.

Twister

Originally posted by twister
Probably has something to do with newer machines. Like my Powerbook 667.

However that firewire trick looks awesome. I'm going to try that next time i need to.

Twister

Yeah, the TiBooks and the Gigabit Ethernet G4s have auto-sensing ethernet ports. They can dynamically detect that two machines are connected with a standard Cat 5 cable and switch to "crossover" mode. Pretty cool.

Had to use FireWire Target Disk Mode on Saturday to transfer something from my iMac to my TiBook. Very fast!

Well If anyone was still wondering, it worked. All I did was plug the firewire cable in the 2 macs, restarted while pressing T, and there it was. A new folder on my desktop! :D

Say folks, a quick thought: If both Macs had GIGABIT ethernet, wouldn't an ethernet connection actually be FASTER than a firewire connection?

Documentation for my iBook mentions that a crossover cable is not necessary. I haven't actually tried a regular cable, however. I read the docs AFTER I bought a $25 crossover cable.

Originally posted by brianleahy
Say folks, a quick thought: If both Macs had GIGABIT ethernet, wouldn't an ethernet connection actually be FASTER than a firewire connection?

Apple's implementation of Gigabit Ethernet is far from ideal. It will be faster than vanilla 100mb but not near true gigabit speed.

To answer your question, yes, it should be a little faster.

Back