HOWTO - Simple Q : How to start my OS X computer under MacOS 9 ?

Belaran

Registered
Simple Q : How to start my OS X computer under MacOS 9 ?

It's a very simple question but i failed to find how to do so in my docs or even in the help of Os X ?

in system preferences click the "start-disk"-button (i am not sure what it is called in english). Then choose OS9.

If you have OS9 on a seperate partition then you can also hold down option when the machine starts to choose a startup disk, which is useful if you only need to do it occasionally. Remember that new machines (last bunch of G4s and PowerBooks from about March-ish) won't boot into OS9 anymore.

Belaran said:
Simple Q : How to start my OS X computer under MacOS 9 ?

It's a very simple question but i failed to find how to do so in my docs or even in the help of Os X ?

The simplest way to force a dual booting Mac to start in OS X, is to hold down the "X" while it's starting up/restarting.

If the Mac is already up, then choose the OS 9 system folder in the start up disk control panel, as was previously said.

If your Mac was made in 2003 or later (not that it's much later than 2003 right now ;)), it won't boot into OS 9. You'll have to use Classic mode.

If it was made it 2002 or earlier, follow Decado's step(s). The pane you're looking for is Startup Disk.

Depends on the machine you have. Newer machins won't boot into OS 9. If it's not one of those, try hlding the Option key down while booting. You'll get a screen giving you a choice of what system to boot into, unless it's a good bitolder.

Next post, please give more information, Model, Ram, OS, etc.

Back