I killed MySQL !!!! :-(

djbeta

Registered
Bummer.. I did something to MySQL.. think I tried upgrading the server by installing a newer version.. things freaked out.. so i tried to delete everything at the Unix Shell, then reinstalled MySQL 4.0.24 and now
when I try to connect either via Terminal or phpMyAdmin I get this error:

MySQL said: #2002 - Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

Could someone please help me ?

thanks. :)

This error is usually caused by a part installation being left behind somewhere.

My suggestion is to ensure that MySQL is completely removed. Note that most installation packages put MySQL in the /lib area while by default OS X has it somewhere else (location eludes me right now).

Make sure all of it is deleted.

Then reinstall from scratch.

Additionally ensure you are installing the right version for your version of OS X. I once downloaded a 10.3 version not realising this and installed on 10.2

It installed without a problem, no indication of version mistakes but it refused to run with similar errors that you cite.

So that's the best I can offer.

D

Okay.. I think I got everything.. deleted.. restarted.. reinstalled.. restarted..

then I still get this error.. MySQL said: #2002 - Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

I did a search for the file: mysql.sock and it doesn't seem to exist on my computer.

Any ideas ???

Hmm, odd... Do you get any useful error messages when you start the actual server?

sudo mysqld_safe

If it's having some problem announcing the socket it's using, then it'll probably tell you.

thanks for the help !
this is what happens:

Macintosh:/usr/local/mysql djbeta$ sudo bin/mysqld_safe
chown: mysql: Invalid argument
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data
STOPPING server from pid file /usr/local/mysql/data/Macintosh.local.pid
050408 14:45:53 mysqld ended

I've got it fixed....

I wiped out sql (as I had done before like 7 times) with

sudo rm -rf /usr/local/mysql* and also deleted the startup item..

but this time after repairing permissions and rebooting, I tried installing an older version of MySQL that I have running on another box.. 4.0.18 And Voila !!! it works perfectly.. I repeated the problem and solution on another mac.

Seems to be some issues with the latest build 4.0.24

Back