iBook acting weird after getting repaired; scared it might die again!

kyiosus

Registered
Hello,

I just got my iBook G4 (1.42 GHz, 10.4.9) back from sending it in for repair, the reason being it just shut down without warning one night, and would do absolutely nothing when pressing the power button.

Ever since the first minute of using my iBook since it came back (just yesterday), I've been experiencing a wide array of problems (list below). I am posting this because I'm wondering if I can somehow fix these problems myself, because I'm dreading it dying again and having to live a week without a computer 0_0... again, or call Apple again, or just not worry about (...yeah).

First of all, the parts that were replaced (which to my surprise is a lot more parts than I thought would be repaired; good thing it's under warranty) are, from what I can tell on the paper: the RAM, fan, logic board, cable reed switch, and the hard drive.

Now the problems:
- I experience the screen going dark and a casual gray box popping up and saying "You must restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds, etc, etc..."
- Sometimes when turning the iBook on, a wierd high pitched humming is heard, and the display not turning on. I can't tell if the sound is coming from the speakers or the hardware.
- Other times when turning the iBook on, I can hear the fan going, but nothing else happens. Display doesn't turn on, hard drive doesn't sound like it's "on".
- Several times when waking the computer from sleep, the authenticate box doesn't show up (but the cursor does), thus having me to close the lid and try again. Sometimes after I enter my password and hit enter, it goes right back to sleep.
- The hard drive clicking sounds so bad, sometimes I have to squint my eyes (like hearing finger nails on a chalk board).
- The clock keeps going back to a date like 1969, with a dialog box saying so and warning that applications may not work.

Anything I can do to solve any of these? Or should I call Apple again before it's too late? I appreciate ALL of your suggestions and replies; thank you for reading this and thank you for your help.

Back