iBook G4 Login Window Problem

Ryan R

Registered
I've tried searching threads for a solution, but I haven't found one to do exactly what I need. A few weeks ago while I was on my computer, and an update was running, my computer froze up. I did a hard restart and ran into a problem.

I tried restarting normally, but I just get a spinning wheel that just keeps spinnning.
I tried again in safe mode. This time, The teal screen with the white box "Max OS-X" came up and the blue bar loaded almost all the way. It reached "Login Window Starting" and then the screen fades and the command line screen appears. It immediately asks for Username and then Password. I type both in, and it lets me into the system as 'admin.'

I ran diskutil to try and repair or verify and disk that might have had problems. I kept getting errors such as (-10000 Error). I was then looking for another solution.

I tried this time in single user mode, following the instructions of the forum thread I found here:
http://macosx.com/tech-support/ibook-g4-freezing/5118.html

(Go to the last post)

I followed the instructions and it says the HD is ok. I typed the command to mount and then onto SystemStarter. I runs though and finally says "Startup complete." I try to type the remove files as I saw on the instructions, but the files are not recognized. I.E.:

rm /Users/admin/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist : No such file or directory.

I then tried to look up the user names, but the command line came to a halt and didn't compute the command. I really think the problem has to do with the Login Window at startup.

When my computer froze up, it was during an update, so I don't know what effect that would have. I'm limited on knowledge and was wondering if anyone could offer me some help with my situation.

Thanks,
Ryan

Back