iBook screen ruined; pixel defects?!

MuddyRiverMan

Registered
I believe my iBook screen may be ruined-- I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I might be able to fix it. This afternoon when I flipped the iBook open, I found that it now has a series of pixel-wide multi-colored lines running from top to bottom in the middle of the screen. The problem is about 2 inches wide, making the computer hard to use. It appears to be a problem with moniter itself; I took a screen capture and the area with the problem shows up fine (when I move the screen captured image around the mess to see it!)

Any ideas on how I can fix this? Is there something I can do to fix it, or do I have to send it to Apple? What kind of costs would this incur?

Thanks.

I've had the iBook since July 1, 2001-- long past the warrenty sadly. :(

There is no damage to the outside of the case; no cracks or major scratches.

I've tried resetting the machine, turning it off and leaving it off for a while. Nothing helps. :(

It's still under the 1 year warranty.

Do you have an Apple Store nearby? Or an Authorized Reseller? If so, take it there and see if they'll do anything. You may not want to tell them how it happened, but they should fix it.... They fixed my iBook's latch while it was under the 1 year warranty when I dropped it no questions asked. It's worth a shot.

Yeah, as long as you haven't cracked the case open for any reason (or done anything else to void the warranty) your iBook comes with a standard 1 year warranty. Call Apple or head to an Apple Store and get that thing fixed/replaced! :)

Sweet! I was really worried there for while. I originally bought it from CompUSA-- would I be able to take it to them or does it need to go straight back to Apple? Hopefully an Apple reseller like CompUSA can help me out, I really don't want to mess with the shipping and what not.

I'm trying to get this all squared away and figured out now, because I'm in college right now and I won't be able to get it anywhere for about a week. I want to jet right home and get it fixed right away. :)

You may want to call the CompUSA first. They should take it if you bought it there. I've never bought anything from them though so I'm not sure what their policy is. Chances are they'll just send it off to the Apple Texas repair center and ship it back to you. My iBook was away for a week when they replaced the latch. I took it to the Apple Store, though.

Back