iBook won't boot from cd-rom

mose1983

Registered
So I have a G3 600mhz iBook. I've been trying like hell to get the thing to boot up off a cd, like it used to, but no longer. This is not a burnt or pirated cd I'm working with, either -- it's the same OSX disc that came out of the box with it, or the OS9 cd that came with it, or any disc that should be bootable.

Anyway-- I can load the cd when I'm already in OSX or 9 (have them on separate partitions). I can even open the "Install Mac OSX" deal and have it prompt me to restart my machine. In rebooting, though, it just hangs. The harddrive will whir a bit, then settle down and (if I listen carefully) spin away, clicking lightly every half a second or so. The screen remains blank and grey with the little smiling computer in the center until (after maybe three minutes) it gives up and boots from the harddrive.

I've tried resetting the PRAM, I've tried with no peripherals plugged in. I've tried from OS9 and OSX. I've tried uh.. holding down option, to select the disc, but it will not find it. It is listed, however, as valid if I put it in and choose the "startup disk" control panel (not that selecting it leads to anything different than what was described above). I've tried holding down c, I've tried command-option-shift-delete. All to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I used to have applecare, but it has ran out. In the year that I did I sent this thing in four times for three new logic boards and a host of other crap. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the cdrom is broken, but I don't really have the means to get it fixed anymore... so. So here I am hoping it's not.

Cheers,
Mose.

You may get some help by (gently) cleaning the laser lens in the CD tray. I would dampen a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol, then (gently) wipe that lens. Also, try cleaning the surface of the main CD you want to use. This will sometimes get your drive reading well enough to boot.

Back