iChat using 80% of CPU!!!

TeeboAccrete

Registered
Hi to all,

I have 10.3.3 . I have iChat on all day. Although I only had safari, mail, iChat and dreamweaver on, my powerbooks fans started... this has benn going on for quite some time... And today I wanted to resolve the problem. I opened the Activity viewer utility. The results where very surprising! iChat was using over 80% of the CPU :mad: !!!! Even Photoshop CS was only using 18%!!!

Does anyone have the same problem? I'm using iChat AV 2.1 on a Powerbook 1.25 Ghz with 10.3.3

Thanks,

Teebo

current cpu activity: 15%
safari, mail, text, launchbar, finder and ichatav running.
tibook 1Ghz here.
Sounds like something weird is going on with ichat. Did you add anything? New icons or stuff like that? Is video running?

Try restarting. Sounds like iChat just had a leak or something. Sometimes my fans will start if I've had the computer asleep and then hit it with a static shock as I wake it up.

Dlloyd,

On my computer it's a continous problem. This has been going on for quite some time now.....

It'a a pain in the A.........

Sorry Sam,

I did not add anything to iChat. I did add a couple buddy pictures for myself, but I erased them. Otherwise... no clue.

ok, here an idea: move your com.apple.iChat.AIM.plist and com.apple.iChat.plist out of home/Library/Preferences. These preferences files will make your ichat run on default. Lets see if it's still sucking so much of your cpu performance...

Nope.... still have the problem. When I start iChat it's alright. The problem occurs when I start chatting. Even when I close the actual chat window.... the CPU activity applied to iChat is still > 75% !!!

It's been final for a while? ... And: Of course Photoshop only takes less than 20% when iChat is misbehaving. Just try to create another user and look if it's also happening there. I mean an OS X user, not an iChat user - you can use your usual login there.

If it's ALSO happening with that second user, I'd backup and reinstall everything from scratch.

If it's NOT happening with that second user, then you'll have to work things out, I guess... as you'd reimport the problems by reinstalling and applying the backup.

Probaby a stupid question, but you are TEXT chatting, right? Or are you video-chatting? I could see how doing a video chat would send the processor into a frenzy -- it takes a lot of computing power to do the video chat thing.

Hmm... perhaps it's the actual iChat application that is causing the high processor usage. Do you have your buddy list showing, or is the iChat application active in the dock? What happens if you just use the little iChat menu thing to go online, and keep the actual iChat application closed?

I use a menu app called WeatherPop, which every now and then will suck all of the memory out of the system and everything will go crazy. Usually all I have to do to fix it is quit the process in the activity viewer, then launch the app again. If it's happening right when you launch ichat, then I'm not really sure..

Back