Icons dragged to Finder sidebar appear as default folders!

Morgan19

Registered
Hmm... I noticed that on my Mac, the items I drag onto a Finder window's sidebar (on the left-hand side, where you can have shortcut icons/aliases) all default to the regular blue folder icon. I first noticed this because the Desktop icon on the Finder window's sidebar was a folder, whereas on several other Macs it has the blue/white desktop icon. I tested with others and they all appear as regular blue folders.

Anyone have any idea why it's doing this? The only odd things I have installed that I can think might affect the sidebar's icon dispalys are Unsanity hacks (Fruitmenu, LabelsX, and Windowshade).

(EDIT-) After a bit more research and some creative Googling, it appears that a lot of people (if not all) are having this problem with custom folder icons. It just seems odd that even my Desktop icon won't show up, though...

m19

I have that issue with one icon. And that's because it's a network drive. Or an alias. Either way I didn't much care so I didn't try to hard to get the icon back.

Yeah, try to disable all those haxies. They give bad breath to your Mac... Or something like that... But on topic: I have this problem with _one_ folder that contains many, many items, and I guess the Finder 'counts' the items in the folder before getting at the icon - and times out or something... Sometimes it works, sometimes not...

The haxies shouldn't be doing anything. What format are the icons in? Did you use CandyBar? If you converted the icons, did you use Pic2Icon? I've had it happen a couple of times pulling down stuff from deviant.art. Logging out and back in always seemed to do the trick for the sidebar icons.

Disabling them didn't do anything. In fact, as I was researching the problem, I read several other threads that suggested the hacks were at fault but when disabled, the problem still persisted. It sounds like even people who don't use hacks get the default folder icons.

And they're just regular old icons, mostly from pixelgirl.com. I've logged in and out (and restarted) several times since trying the new ones to no avail.

m19

Try to update the custom icon on the original after you have the folder in the sidebar.

My custom icons show well in the sidebar and if I have a blue folder, when I put an icon on the original folder the sidebar updates as well.

I use all different sorts of icons, from a variety of sources.

I fixed that sidebar problem personally by making sure that I had my custom icon in every size of scaling in Iconographer, instead of just 128*128 and letting the OS scale it down.

Iconographer can fill in all the blanks if you tell it to, and that will fix your problem. Took me ages to figure out.

Back