Ideas on sending keystrokes to Classic?

bbloke

Registered
I'm posting to appeal for ideas! I've been testing a program (Roger Wilco, for voice chat during game playing) that only runs in Classic mode. I have found that it works as long as I am in Classic, no matter which application I am using at the time.

However, if I switch to an OS X application (such as a game, for instance... ) I can only hear others, I can't send messages. I believe this is because sending messages is triggered by a keystroke, and that keystroke does not reach Classic when you are using OS X as the front most "mode."

Is there any way of directly sending a particular keystroke to a Classic application whilst in OS X?

Otherwise, I'm looking at forcing games to boot in Classic mode (takes a bit of tinkering... ) or else run in OS 9, which I'd really rather avoid. Thanks in advance for the ideas! :)

Hmmm... I wonder if Keyboard Maestro could be made to do the trick. (http://keyboardmaestro.com/ - the Lite version is free for up to 20 shortcuts or something like that.)

You might be able to program Keyboard Maestro to do a 2 step shortcut:
1. Switch to Roger Wilco
2. Type keystroke
3. Switch back to previous application

If the game is full screen I believe it won't actually switch out of the game, it will just set the focus to the other application. Let me know how it goes if you try it.

Thanks, I'll have to look into that.

The other thing I was thinking was about writing an AppleScript, but to be honest I've never got into writing those over the years. UNIX shell scripts, maybe, but not AppleScripts for some bizarre reason!

;)

Back