Illustrator 9 "hangs" during startup

alphina

Registered
When I launch Illustrator 9, it hangs up during the startup. It gets stuck on the "reading fonts" section of the startup. Has anyone seen this problem? I'd appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks!::alien::

Fonts, fonts and fonts again...
Illustrator was originally developed by the Adobe guys not as a useful application, but as a demo as to what one could do with their wonderful (new at that time) PostScript language.
After tourinmg and demoing 'Illustrator' - people began finding practical uses for it.
This being the reason why Illustrator - still today - behaves pretty much like the syntax in the PS language - and the reason why Illustrator is 'sensitive' to deviations from the PS standard.
(Before ATM DeLuxe we were some, that used Illustrator as a 'font-checking' app, as a couple of words written in Illustrator in the suspect font, would make Illustrator go down with a loud crash within a few operations to those words).
All this only to explain to that you could try to temp. remove your font folder and then try. If Illu starts up OK - you have the tedious task of findeing the guilty font (-s)
Happy hunting
John Philip

Are you using any font management apps? Are you running this in classic or booting into 9? If in classic, does the same thing happen when you boot into 9? I never had problems using 9 in classic, it ran smooth for me, but 10 in X is a little slow but stable.

Your fonts contain a corrupt element.
Use a font checker, or simply check your fonts yourself.

Search for and delete any AdobeFnt.lst files on your system. I'm told these font lists become corrupt sometimes. Illustrator should work after you do this. Unfortunately you may run into the same problem again as Illustrator recreates these files periodically and I don't know of any permanent fix.

-P13

Back